Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 03:45:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Difficult, plaid fabric on wingback

Started by cajunpedaler, December 28, 2013, 09:01:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

If this is a frequent/repeat customer, hopefully she will consult you in advance in the future before selecting an impractical fabric.

I had a similar job a few years ago. Not a plaid, but a very stiff fabric and lots of drastic curves on the chair. It turned out that the material was intended for luggage. Like you, I got too deep into the job before I realized it wasn't going to work. The customer aborted, and left me with a lot of lost time.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

cajunpedaler

I think this customer has the potential to be a repeat customer.  At the least, a good referral...I seem to be working in this particular social circle in this area for now...In the past, I have found that once I can make someone happy, I spend the next couple of years in the same family and neighborhood, I become the coveted resource...
That's why I have been so concerned with this job..I've had some that I've told to just hit the road...
I'm the brand new upholsterer in this area, so unlike my previous location, where I didn't even have to advertise or do anything, here, I am having to prove my mettle.
I am realizing that I am extremely underpriced..so I will adjust my fee schedule to something that's more competitive and fair.
I am mid work on the second set of wingbacks now..I'll post when I'm done.
Thanks again, to all who contributed.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

Lo

Is it possible that when you post your pics you show some of the wingback style that did not work too? Would be most appreciative . . .

Marlo

chrisberry12

Enquiring minds want to know. Did you finish the chair and how did it come out?

cajunpedaler

Right after all the plaid brew ha ha, I went on a planned road trip to Virginia, came home, got sicker than death..and am just now feeling better.  Plus, I am in the Deep South..and we are having a deep freeze..our area is just paralyzed..you would think a hurricane was coming, the way people are stocking up on everything..and geez, this is only supposed to last one and a half days.
Talked to the customer yesterday and she said that she appreciated me being conscientious  enough to address the plaid dilemma.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

cajunpedaler

I delivered the evil plaid chairs today. They turned out great. Customer was pleased and I'm sure she will be a repeat customer.

Darren Henry

QuoteI am in the Deep South..and we are having a deep freeze..our area is just paralyzed.

wanna buy some quality Canadian engine block heaters and some snow blowers---They're yard sale fodder now. Here in our South there isn't much snow left, the rivers are breaking up, and I wouldn't walk out onto many lakes. They'll be open soon too if the weather actually gets up to "normal".  :)
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!