Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:31:04 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Boom times in west Texas.......again

Started by sofadoc, November 05, 2013, 06:36:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on December 07, 2013, 06:05:39 am
One question I still have how long will the oil from fracting continue to flow?  Is this a more or less an interim opportunity?
I guess that will always be a prime concern in the oil drilling business..........when will the well run dry?

In the 80's, west Texas oilmen partied like there was no tomorrow. Then "tomorrow" came. Houses were foreclosed on, retail shops were boarded up, banks went under.

Now, with the new fracking technology, those wells are up and running again. Local businesses are thriving again. But city officials in west Texas towns warn that the good times will eventually come to an end again, so be prepared.

Here in Greenville (east Texas), we have a large manufacturing company that makes oil drilling equipment. For many years, the facility operated on a bare minimum crew.

Now, they're hiring like crazy, and paying unskilled workers over twice the minimum wage.
Suddenly, locals who previously could barely afford a crappy apartment are signing mortgages for new homes. I fear that in a few years, those new neighborhoods will all be up for sale (with no buyers).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Imagine the boom they are having in Nebraska. I just read an article the other day that they are having a helluva time filling jobs. And mind you these jobs pay BIG money. They hire only to lose them to the cold weather found in Nebraska.

I have always felt that in instances such as natural resources, what goes up must come down. Boom and bust has been a big part of their history - oil, coal and natural gas.

Chris