Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:40:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A mix question (business/craft)

Started by baileyuph, December 08, 2013, 08:34:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

December 08, 2013, 08:34:05 am Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:34:56 am by DB
The issue is- in reupholstering a piece of furniture, chair for example that factory diamond tufted with buttons, etc.  Now, in the redo, customer doesn't want the tufting-- how best to fill the holes is the simple question:

1.  Fill with foam and light gluing - works but is that the most efficient - it is effective with a thin layer of smooting padding - can't be thick however.

2.  Or, is there another medium that would be faster and just as effective -- dacron or cotton?

As a comment, it is noticed that sometimes/often the younger market appreciate intrinsic older values but are more aggressive on affect - less tradition or "dated items".

As a note, the younger market is the growing market, it varies from something unusal to stricking, things that offer more or a different look.  I started to describe as "bizarre" which happens but not the routine in this local market.  Interesting/refreshing/ but retain the old school values inherent, some of the market values.  Works for me!

The best hole filler - back to that.

Doyle

MinUph

I use cotton Doyle. Fill the hole blend in and another layer on top.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

December 08, 2013, 10:12:03 am #2 Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:18:03 am by kodydog
We recently picked up a sofa that the customer wanted the tufting back in. The last fellow who reupholstered it talked her out of tufting it and she was never very happy with the results. As I was striping it I was happy to find the old padding with the holes and stuffed with cotton. It saved me some work.

We also picked up a small antique desk chair with upholstered seat. The last upholsterer  just pulled the fabric tight and poked the buttons through without tufting. It looked pretty bad. When I upholstered it I put the tufts back in.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

That was part of "my gut" about this Paul.  Also, doing it that way, it will work out for Kody should he get the job going back to diamond tufts.  Smile.

Thanks guys, will do.

Doyle