Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 10:29:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

cushion with a hole

Started by Mike, November 29, 2013, 03:45:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

so I want to make a cushion for the foredeck on my center console  triangle shaped but I want to have a hinge so it folds to access a large fish box without removing the entire pad.
but ive been waiting to install a fishing seat on the foredeck  so I have to have a hole in the front section of the cushion.  its a small  Swivl-Eze Lock'N-Pin 3/4" Pedestal so a 3" diameter hole. to tell you the truth ive never had to make a hole like this I hate it then=m larger even. I figure the easiest way will to have the round (boxing) in the hole  normally id use a zipper to close the hole after stuffing the foam in but im thinking Velcro instead to be easier on a flap on the top and a flap on the bottom bolth with Velcro. it will be good practice anyway

MinUph

Mike,
  Sounds like your center console isn't small from past posts. Making this cushion rather large to fill around a hole. I was thinking of making it out of two sections for/aft or port/starboard. And connecting them with either velcro or a zipper on the bottom seam. Port/Starboard seems to be a better way of holding it in place around the post cutout.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

yes I thought of 2 piece Paul, but I don't want the divided look just preference just thinking of the best way to do the hole,
its only 20'  I had larger but I had to sell when I moved due to that bridge in the pic

fragged8

if you have a helm seat with a hole in the headrest that is closed with a zip isn't it ?

Mike

December 03, 2013, 02:34:38 pm #4 Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:26:12 pm by Mike
well i didn't make it easy on myself It was a brainteaser making the round hole boking top and bottom each bolth with Velcro..   yhen I added the hindge flap that had to be sewn into the boxing and try to get my brain around how to have one cushion in the other to attach the hinge then flip it all outside out after sewing I did it before but not enough to remember

here it is with the seat pedestal in place with it out I can hang out at the sandbar

I have the hinge so I can easily access my main fish locker

JuneC

Wow Mike, that's crazy!  I think I would have split the cushion in two and put a velcro flap underneath to hold the two pieces together.  It came out really nice, but holy cow!

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

Now theres American ingenuity. Nice job Mike.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Grebo

I am still thinking about that hole. More coffee I think.

Suzi

Mike

Suzi the hinge is what alway gets me thinking sewing it inside out the right way then will it come out?

gene

I don't do boats but I do do cushions and I am impressed. That's a great job!

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

Lo

This makes me think of that old saying: Where there is a will there is a way! Good stuff ...  :)

baileyuph

December 04, 2013, 08:18:24 pm #13 Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:25:45 pm by DB
Mike, the cushion and all looks great, but getting my mind wrapped around that hole, took me a while, but I think that part is almost clear.  You probably made the two faces of the cushion with the hole first with boxing (inside the hole for clarification)

Boxing was applied to one side of cushion with hole, obviously with seam allowance enclosed, but if the cushion isn't reversible, the bottom seam allowance of the cushion would not be enclosed.  Encosing could be done but what a bear!

I believe I understand the hindge and the other cushion, yes sewing the hindge with one cushion turned through the other is also a mind twister.

But man .....................Mike!!  Sure you don't have enough to do???  LOL.

Everybody got to be somewhere doing something and you did it well.  Not sure everyone would understand what you are doing though.

Just "mind over matter", huh, and "if you don't mind it don't matter".

Mike you da MAN!

Doyle

Mike

December 06, 2013, 02:35:50 pm #14 Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 09:32:36 pm by Mike
Doyle the bottom was mesh for venting.  
The top plate had boxing  getting a circle is hard but i had to have velcro on the inside of the boxing.
The  bottom  mesh plate. Had boxing with velcro on the outside i goofed on that one with it on the inside st first.   I made thst cushion first.  And j sewed the hinge flap in the propper spot in the boxing  
Then i made the longer  retangular cshion i sewed the boving onto thbottom mesh first csuse i knew i had to see the hinge flap in with the top seam boxing.  So is ewed the 3 sides leaving the hinge side last. Ten the triangle cushion with the hole turned rightside out was suffed into the reatagle cushion that is inside out being sewn. And sew the last side with the hinge flap.   Then when down sewing turn the cushion rightside out and the secont attached at the hinge cushion come out too now everthing is rightside out ready for stuffing.  Then close the hole with the 2 velcro boxings.

Now i ordered a seat for the bow that came today but what was called white is really off white. Its going to bug me till i redo i. Eith the matching white. Might as well add the feal stripe to mat h the rest of my boat.