Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:40:36 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Clear Plastic Under Vinyl

Started by regalman190, November 25, 2013, 08:28:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

regalman190

I'm re-upholstering some boat seats and looking for some info. There is a thin clear plastic between the vinyl and foam, I believe to prevent mold or bacteria from getting to the vinyl. Can anyone tell me what this clear plastic is and where I can get it?

Thanks
Regal Canvas

fragged8

it is only used to make stuffing the cushions much easier, you guys call it silk slip maybe from Miami corp ?
I can't get it in the uk but car body repair shops use a very thin plastic these days for masking up cars before spraying so I use that. it's probably cheaper than silk slip too...
Especially as my brother inlaw owns a body shop so I get it free sometimes :-)

rich

Mike

I made a post here earlier but I gueese I missed the post buttom ive seen it regal on some seats I think it was to help keep the foam dru but its always covered in wed green slimy mold yuck and the plastiv it always heavier the the  silk or slip eze that I used to kelp slide foam onto a zippered cushion. o never use the plastic over the foam I find it better to vect the seat and let the water dry out rather then trap ir under plastic

Darren Henry

I too try to avoid it on boat seats because it holds the water in. My suppliers up here seam to only offer it in 5 mile rolls; so I use plastic wrap. Yeah, the stuff you  wrapped your used tukey in on thursday night. I just use the cheap house brand ---for this it works just as well as Saran wrap etc...
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

chrisberry12

never use any king of plastic wrap on boat cushions... traps in water and your mildew proof fabric is ruined. if you need some slip and slide to fill your cushion either wrap the cushion with a thin layer of dacron and/or spray with upholsterer's silicone.... Have fun

Darren Henry

I should have mentioned; I don't wrap the whole cushion, for exactly that reason. I buy the narrower width roll and only cover where I need the "slip". e,g If I'm stuffing a sofa cushion I'll wrap across the "front border" of the foam and like 6" down the two sides. It can also be removed once the skin is roughly in place but you can still get a hand in there.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!