Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 10:15:41 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hand wheels on sewing machines

Started by gene, November 08, 2013, 05:16:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

November 08, 2013, 05:16:04 am Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:23:01 am by gene
Raindodger mentioned in another post that his servo motor allows him to almost never have to tough the hand wheel on his sewing machine.

I have clutch motors on both of my sewing machines and am very happy with them. I can sew flat out fast or do one stitch at a time, opening up the clutch just enough so I can turn the hand wheel by hand.

From reading all the posts on this forum, when these clutch motors need replacing I will definitely get servo motors.

However, what about OSHA and any other governmental safety regulations. Has anyone run into any issues with the fact that when we use the hand wheel we are putting our hands beside, over, on, an unprotected drive belt?

I can't imagine CA allowing uncovered drive belts on sewing machines. CA seems to be leading the country in safety regulations.

I have metal guard plates/covers that go on the bottom end of the drive belt, I would guess this is to make sure a wondering cat does not get it's tail caught in it. I don't have a cat in my studio so I don't have these guard plates/covers attached.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Yeah, my Juki came with a plastic shroud that covers the belt. But it squeaked, so off it came.

Now, I cower in fear that the OSHA people will conduct a surprise raid.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

jojo

I would respond to Mike's post, but I don't speak Tagalog. My sewing machine is a few years old, and came with a servo motor. There is no guard anywhere near the belt. My last machine was a Singer 111w155 with a clutch motor, and there was no guard on that belt either.
Gene, I promise you when you get a servo, you won't understand how you ever lived without it.

bobbin

My 31-15 has no belt guard.  Nor does my W&G rotary take up (1940s), Nakajima 380, or US Blindstitch 718-7.  When they were produced we were nowhere as evolved with respect to safety as we are we now!

As small shop I don't sweat the guard thing.  But! I did see a fellow worker's kid get  her hand caught in the belt of an overlock machine in the mid-80s.  So, it happens!

I make sure any belt guards are in place and I ALWAYS  use a needle guard on ANY single needle machine in my shop.  ALWAYS.  It's only smart, you guys.  You may think it's dumb and only dummies get zapped by needles... but news flash!  OSHA takes a dim view of that and using a needle guard is cheap insurance against painful injuries. 

sofadoc

I've never had a needle guard. And in all the machines that I've bought and sold over the years, I've never even seen one in person. I've only seen them in pictures.

I have never, ever, ever even came close to sewing my finger. I'm afraid that I'll just have to learn the hard way. ;)

MinUph

OMG i removed both the belt guard AND the needle guards. What will I do when they come?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

November 08, 2013, 04:48:26 pm #6 Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:51:18 pm by gene
My thought was more toward big companies who have a whole lot of folks sewing away.

I've only had two folks come into my business. An insurance guy who wanted to make sure I was doing upholstery and not something else. I think his main motivation was to look for ways to increase my rates. He said if I had a table saw instead of a circular saw they would include "wood working" as a part of my business, for example.

And the fire persons come in once a year to make sure I have a sticker on my fire extinguisher. I decided that I will buy a new fire extinguisher every year instead of paying some company money to give me a sticker, and give away the year old fire extinguisher to a family member, friend, or someone who owes me money and I wouldn't want to see them loose all their assets in case I should decide to sue them.

I've invited police officers in on several occasions and they have declined. I think they are concerned that they may find a meth lab and they just don't want to do the paperwork that that would entail. (Just joking here. I absolutely appreciate and support the police.)

I have a needle guard on my regular sewing foot and I have not taken it off because I can find it easier in the drawer when I go to put it back on the sewing machine.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I have 2 fire extinguishers that look like this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Snohomish_-_Blackman_House_Museum_-_Comet_fire_extinguisher_02A.jpg

They hung in my grandmother's shop when I was a kid. When I re-located in '98, I brought them with me to my new shop. When the Fire Dept. inspector came to inspect, I pointed to those fire extinguishers. He looked at them for a couple of minutes, and said "OK". 

That was in '98. I haven't had a visit from him since.

JuneC

My Highlead came with a needle guard, but it partially blocks the view of the needle where it enters the fabric.  I kept it in place for about a month till I got used to the servo motor, then it came off. 

As for sewing fingers, I've done that twice now.  The first time it really hurt because the needle went in on the side and my reaction was to pull my finger away.  The rip didn't feel good, but it honestly wasn't as bad as you might expect.  The second time the needle hit the bone and bent the tip (of the needle, that is..)  It didn't hurt nearly as bad as it sounds.  The needle is sharp, thin, and doesn't impact many nerves - think accupuncture.  I had to disassemble the foot with a screwdriver to get my finger out.  Our mechanic walked in while I was doing this and I thought he was going to pass out.  No issue, but I'd rather not repeat.  I'm much more afraid of the belt than the needle.  But no belt guard either. 

Who was it that posted a pic of his skewered finger?  Maybe 3 years ago?

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

I remember that nasty pic june.
ive pinched my finger under the foot thinkingisewed it but my finger are too fat

june  I remember that nasty photo, ive pinched my finger under the foot but there too fat to make it under to the needle . I have caught the belt a time or 2

bobbin

I was the person who first heard my co-worker's cry for help.  She operated a high speed, full function Mitsubishi single needle (no needle guard!) and the needle went through the nail of of her right index finger.  It jammed in the "down" position.  She was unable to rotate the hand wheel to raise the needle, so she was "pinned" in place. 

I had to remove the needle from the housing and then gently lift it out of the "down" position so we could "free" her.  We did this by keeping her calm and not allowing her to look at the reality of the incident.  Make sure that the necessary screwdrivers are always within arm's reach... many of us work alone... what would  you do in that situation if you couldn't access a screwdriver?  (and you think it's all about insurance companies trying to jack your rates? right!)

FYI:  if this ever happens to you DO NOT EXTRACT THE NEEDLE.  Doing so will open the puncture wound to air and will activate bacteria.  Leave the needle in place (think of it as a "cork") and go to the doctor. 

When was YOUR last tetanus shot, you guys???

sofadoc

I think it was Tejas who posted the pic a few years ago. Right about the time that many posts got wiped out by a mini-crash.

JuneC

Quote from: bobbin on November 11, 2013, 01:58:40 pm
Make sure that the necessary screwdrivers are always within arm's reach... many of us work alone... what would  you do in that situation if you couldn't access a screwdriver?  (and you think it's all about insurance companies trying to jack your rates? right!)

FYI:  if this ever happens to you DO NOT EXTRACT THE NEEDLE.  Doing so will open the puncture wound to air and will activate bacteria.  Leave the needle in place (think of it as a "cork") and go to the doctor. 

When was YOUR last tetanus shot, you guys???

Correct on several counts here.  I recall some time in the past telling my husband that the screwdriver on the sewing machine was off limits for his tool scavenging as it was my safety equipment.  The day I got sewed in I was calling him on the phone (he was out in the boatyard) and telling him he needed to come into the shop when the mechanic walked in.  Neither of them would have been any help.  I was out of the work-in-process in a minute or less.  Never work without a phone in reach or without tools required for extraction. 

When I pulled the needle out, I bled almost not at all.  I actually squeezed the finger to force blood as an attempt to flush out the wound.  It never got infected.  But, Bobbin, I haven't had a tetanus shot since I was in my teens.  Yes, it's waaaaaay overdue.  Time to get that updated.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

Speaking of tetanus I have never had a shot for it. I've been poked stabbed almost on a regular basis and not with sterile instruments and never have had a problem. I heard once that the immune system builds up for this sort of thing. If that is true or not I have no idea. Is it true?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

I've drawn blood on some pretty rusty staples over the years. Just a quick wrap with masking tape, and I'm good to go. I've had one tetanus shot in my adult life, probably about 20 years ago.

Never sewed my finger. But I've stapled it to a few frames. They hurt worse coming out than going in.