Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 09:28:42 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Staftop vs. Sunbrella

Started by Highvelocity, October 16, 2013, 08:27:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Highvelocity

October 16, 2013, 08:27:49 am Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:30:28 am by Highvelocity
Hello All,
    I was looking for Sunbrella at perfectfit.com and they have this product listed "Staftop" it's kinda lumped in with the Sunbrella products.  Has anyone seen it or used it.?  It's cheaper than Sunbrella but I don't know if its as good.  They say its water resistant and has a high tensil strength, but they are selling a product.  I am doing a large mooring cover for myself and I need 30 yards.  

Mike, the Velocity is up for sale, the wife couldn't take it anymore, so I know have a 30ft Scarab Sport.  So now I have all new projects to start on...lol  Covers, enclosures, upholstery..etc So I will be back on the board more.

Thanks,
   Ed
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Mike

Highvelocity

Yes indeed Mike...  The old boat was fast but bumpy and no potti...  This one goes through 3 foot chop without spilling your drink...lol   And it has the front half cabin with a potti.

Mike

like to see a pic when you can ive got a 20 seacraft the ride is great with a
Variable Dead Rise hull it is the smoothest 2 ive ever had

I changed the evirude 150 for a 200 merc this spring
and a bow trolling motor to target some redfish here

Highvelocity

October 18, 2013, 06:57:57 am #4 Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:04:47 am by Highvelocity
Here she is Mike...I had to go up to Boston to get her.  I was going to put the snap studs into the rub rail on the bottom and make a full boat mooring cover...  

Mike

sweet id be happy  also that on 2 225s?a friend got a skater with twin 225 mercs does 100 he said never with me though , what top end? fast trip out for tuna ect with her

Highvelocity

Mine has 250's...this tops out at 65MPH,,, but much different ride than skater...lol

Mike

October 18, 2013, 03:27:16 pm #7 Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:28:42 pm by Mike
I used to have a 25'
hydarsport with twin 175 it top at 65 with a light load  also had a sutphen years ago but my need for speed has faded :(] I never though id say it but I can see the merits of having a pontoon :)

Mojo

As a kid I spent time on speed boats. As an adult my Dad and I started fishing out of a boat. He bought a pontoon and I loved fishing off that.

My need for speed steadily declined as I got older and I started wanting convenience, economy and slow trips on the water. We loved fishing off the pontoon. We also took my kids out swimming on sand bars and it was so convenient having the pontoon.

I think, if memory serves me correctly, that he had a 25 hp Mariner on the pontoon. That engine sipped gas. :)

On his little boat that we used for trolling he had an old Clinton. I can remember re-building that motor once. Most people have never heard of a Clinton engine before. It was a good little motor and excellent for trolling. :)

Chris

Mike

Mojo

Mike:

Very few people have heard of it. :) Clinton made small outboards ( mainly 2 and 5 hp models ) and also chainsaws.

It was still puttering along fine when my Dad sold it with the boat. :)

Chris

Highvelocity

I took out all the carpet in the front cabin v-berth Sat.  They put it every where...the ceiling, sides.  It was moldy and stunk.  I am planing on going with vinyl on everything...this way I can clean it and no mold...

JuneC

Nice looking boat, Ed.  I really like Scarabs - especially the vintage 80's models.  Our boat is still gutted - hoping to get started with the rebuild in a day or two.  The stripping and prep is the worst part of any refit.  Hate the mess and nit-picky work.  Will you be gluing in the new vinyl or do you have some other attachment system?

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Highvelocity

June,
   The front and 2 rear bulkhead pieces are a tuck and wrap so no biggy there.  So that leaves the sides and ceiling.  I was thinking just spray gluing it right to the glass...Not sure how smooth it will look.  I guess I could get some Liuon 1/4 ply and make up panels for smoother look...

What do you think?   

I will try to get some cabin pics up soon

Ed

JuneC

I plan on gluing ours, but I'm putting up 1/4" foam first to soften the bumps.  That's how it was originally done and it looked nice (till it got wet and moldy).  Luan works great with 3m dual-loc to keep it up, but you'd probably need to epoxy in wood strips to stick the dual-loc to.  The adhesive will bond with fiberglass, but for performance boats, may not hold after a year or two of bouncing. 

I plan on velcro for the headliner since that's how ours was originally done and I have no desire to reinvent the wheel.  I'll have to glue the fabric to the foam/velcro before installing though.  Miamicorp has the "loop" backed foam in 1/4 and 1/2" thicknesses.  It grips velcro hook like crazy.  In our boat the headliner had dual strips of pvc spaced about 1/4" apart so the individual sections held the velcro on the face, and the raw edges get tucked into the gap. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields