Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:03:45 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Business Growing ......But.....

Started by baileyuph, October 09, 2013, 06:23:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Does the jig work well on this Asian furniture?  The drawers are pretty thin and the wood is what it is, not real strong in most cases.

Doyle

byhammerandhand

1/2" is the minimum thickness it works on.  You'll need a shorter screw for that size.  It also has a smaller head.
If the wood is crap, it may nor may not help.   I replaced the wood panel on a footrest last week -- it broke during or shortly after delivery.   It was the typical Chinese crap plywood -- voids, variable number of plies due to overlaps, and no sense of alternating grain direction.   No wonder it broke.

Quote from: DB on October 28, 2013, 05:45:02 am
Does the jig work well on this Asian furniture?  The drawers are pretty thin and the wood is what it is, not real strong in most cases.

Doyle
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

More wood repairs today, this stuff gets damaged in shipping/handling. 

1.  Did wood repairs on one bedroom bed

2.  Did another wood repair on a bedroom dresser.  Couldn't believe it, the top got knocked off

Got both of them done, they are gone and charged my usual shop rate.  They commented "good job" and said good wood repairs are hard to find. 

Just surmising, the old wood guys must have retired and the young aren't coming into the field, my guess.

Two hours/$143 and just a few bucks for screws and touch up.  Not near as bad as those Car dealers.  Wink.

Also I have a old country style something that goes in a kithen  (a hutch?), perhaps tomorrow.

Let you know how it goes.

Doyle

byhammerandhand

Did a job yesterday for a delivery service.   The local "manager" is a guy, maybe 30 years old.   He commented, "Man, I gotta learn how to do that stuff.   Looks easy and make a lot of money."    Yeah, sometimes it's easy, if you know what you're doing.

Ha.  This is the guy whose boss was going to send him out to a customer to do a burn in repair, and he had no idea how or where to start.   Luckily, that call got canceled.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

SteveA

Burn in's are easy  - after you have done them about 1000 times.  Furniture repair is under appreciated as are all the crafts done to restore and repair older furniture pieces.  If not for the fact  that I like what I do and make my own hours -  well don't get me started. 

SA