Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 09:34:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

stretcher fabric

Started by evanbever, October 07, 2013, 05:52:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

evanbever

Hi all I am new to upholstery and I am doing a sofa reupholster of my own. When I stripped the old fabric I found that what had been used for stretcher fabric on decking and inside arms is a thin gray poly ethylene looking material, does anyone know where I can get this?

Joys Shop

You can use any scrap fabric for a stretcher

You don't have to use the exact same thing that was previously on it

evanbever

Thanks for the info I wasn't sure if the stretcher fabric had to have a certain strength so that the seams hold under the weight of people sitting on the deck cushions

gene

October 08, 2013, 05:28:55 pm #3 Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 05:29:57 pm by gene
I think you two may be talking about two different things.

When I first read this post I was thinking about webbing, or fabric, that is used for the sides and wings - not as a structural material.

If the sofa had a fabric material that was being used to support the total weight of everyone sitting on the sofa, that would not be "scrap fabric".

For the bottom of the sofa, the deck, this video shows using jute webbing. This may be an easier route to go than to try to find fabric that is made for the deck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox2C94lp5NQ

I've never used a fabric to cover the bottom of a sofa as the support material. I would think that even a fabric made for this would eventually stretch somewhat.

Good luck with your project.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Joys Shop

I think you're right
I misunderstood what he was talking about

sorry

baileyuph

Lol,

When I read Evanbever's initial post, I don't believe he is concerned about webbing.  He is looking for stretcher fabric on the deck and on lower arms.

Therefore, my understanding is literally stretcher fabric that is used on lower arms and in his case it sounds like - used on most of the deck. 

If that is the case, Joy's point is relative, quite relative.  Let's talk about this.  If you are talking about the total area under the loose cushions, that is the deck. 

The deck is usually covered by the upholstering fabric being applied joined to a deck material from side to side  (by a seam).  This seam joins decking material (example a denim) and the upholstery material.  Now, important point;  a stretcher can be sewn on three sides of the deck material to extend the deck under each arm and the inside back -for stapling purposes.

Yes, joining strips to the deck denium material can be durable if the material (which Joy said could be any material but strong material sewn with strong thread was assumed).

The advantage of using strong materials for stretchers is;  the opportunity to use up scraps that would not be used otherwise and it cuts cost obviously.

So, you got it all, a discussion on webbing and one on applying stretcher material to the three sides of the deck and the lower part of the inside arms.

I use small pieces of strong upholstery material for stretcher requirements - a lot of the time.

Have fun,

Doyle

sofadoc

I think the term "stretcher fabric" is confusing. To me, the word "stretcher" implies some elasticity.

I've always referred to scrap fabric sewed to the bottom of inside arm, back panels simply as "pull cloth".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

LOL,

Pulls works for me, so does tails, extensions, as well as stretcher (frequently encountered in documentation).  Anyway, it is "stuff" used where anything can be used and maybe save money on buying more of the upholstery fabric being used.

Doyle

byhammerandhand

I think I've heard it called "fly strips"

Quote from: sofadoc on October 09, 2013, 06:05:12 pm
I think the term "stretcher fabric" is confusing. To me, the word "stretcher" implies some elasticity.

I've always referred to scrap fabric sewed to the bottom of inside arm, back panels simply as "pull cloth".
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on October 09, 2013, 06:10:11 pm
Anyway, it is "stuff" used where anything can be used and maybe save money on buying more of the upholstery fabric being used.
Pull cloth, as I shall exclusively refer to it henceforth (you guys can have all your silly names ;D) serves a dual purpose.

Not only does it help to conserve material, but by sewing a seam along the bottom edge, you're less likely to have staple "dips". The seam helps to evenly distribute the tautness of the material as you pull it down and staple.

Having said all that, if I have plenty of fabric, I usually don't take the extra time to sew a pull cloth.

BTW We have "Fly strips" too.......but they hang from the ceiling, and they have dead flies stuck to them :D.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

DDandJ

Having said all that, if I have plenty of fabric, I usually don't take the extra time to sew a pull cloth.

I'm glad you stated this, SofaDoc.  In my current project and my previous project I had enough cover fabric so I didn't mess with "pull cloth." 

I'm also glad you pointed out that the seam on pull cloth will help reduce staple dips or "pull marks" as I call them.  I knew conserving fabric was one advantage of pull cloth but I didn't realize it would also help with pull marks.

Once again, Doc, you have the answer ;)

evanbever

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, I guess what I was referring to would be  the pull fabric that you sew onto the deck and inside arm fabric. My concern about using scrap fabric for that is that it might not be strong enough and would eventually tear under the stress of being pulled on when people sit on the deck cushions thereby putting stress on the deck fabric and the pull fabric as well.

MinUph

Quote from: evanbever on October 19, 2013, 09:57:04 am
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, I guess what I was referring to would be  the pull fabric that you sew onto the deck and inside arm fabric. My concern about using scrap fabric for that is that it might not be strong enough and would eventually tear under the stress of being pulled on when people sit on the deck cushions thereby putting stress on the deck fabric and the pull fabric as well.

There should be minimal stress on a deck cloth when sitting in the piece. Thats why it is help up above the springs. Pulls can be a pita if not properly used. In todays sewing many use mono thread and when you cut the seam it opens easily. If this happens on a pull it can be a problem. I like the use of pulls to save fabric when I buy it and the way I do them on Inside arms and backs is when measuring these parts I bury the tape 2" below the deck and this is where the pull gets attached. When I make my cuts for the tails these end up above and below the pull's seam. Making it stay solid and even stronger to pull on.
  Sofa I never thought about what you mentioned about hardening the area for tack draws (staples). Makes sense.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

evanbever

There should be minimal stress on a deck cloth when sitting in the piece. Thats why it is help up above the springs. Pulls can be a pita if not properly used. In todays sewing many use mono thread and when you cut the seam it opens easily. If this happens on a pull it can be a problem. I like the use of pulls to save fabric when I buy it and the way I do them on Inside arms and backs is when measuring these parts I bury the tape 2" below the deck and this is where the pull gets attached. When I make my cuts for the tails these end up above and below the pull's seam. Making it stay solid and even stronger to pull on.
  Sofa I never thought about what you mentioned about hardening the area for tack draws (staples). Makes sense.

The tape that you refer to (2"below the deck) what kind of tape is that?   

gene

McDonalds sells chicken strips. I don't believe I have ever eaten them.

Mono thread: I use 52# mono. When I sew grabby fabric (you can call it whatever you want, and I will call it whatever I want) to face fabric, I sew back 4 or 5 inches and then forward to the end, at both the beginning of the sewing and at the end of the sewing, so that when I cut into the end of the grabby fabric it won't open easily as you mentioned, evanbever.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!