Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 20, 2024, 10:45:47 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Needle Positioning motor

Started by DDandJ, October 02, 2013, 08:45:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DDandJ

Ok, my Obsessive-Compulsive disorder has kicked in over a servo motor with needle positioning.

From what I've found online the needle positioner is a synchronizer which affixes to the handwheel.  The gentleman that I spoke to at Toledo Sewing said that sometimes the handwheel needs to be drilled and tapped in order to accomodate the synchronizer.

The machine on which I want to install the servo and positioner has a built in bobbin winder.  When I wind a bobbin I release the clutch in the handwheel (just like a domestic machine). 

Is this going to make a difference when it comes to the needle positioner?  Can anyone give me some details on the needle positioner?

And yes, I will call Bob Kovar when I'm ready to purchase the motor.  For now I'm trying to wrap my brain around the positioner. 

Thanks,
Jeremy

bobbin

The two machines I have with servos and needle positioning came from the factory with the set up.  They weren't retrofitted.  One in a Juki 9010SS and the other is a Juki 1541N7.  I've never changed out a clutch motor for a servo, so don't much about "after market" set ups. 

Mike

maybe chris will comment on his retro fit, if and when Id retro fir my clutch motor and id lke this neddle down on stop. does something stop the handwheel not just the motor stopping.
chris do yours have this stop feature?

brmax

Just being curious which machine are you considering, a picture or model  would be super. I can understand what Bob or Bobby has mentioned, heres a basic im thinking.  The shaft on or thru the machine pulley has to in someway mount a bearing, it is tapped or screwed on centered. It uses the bearing feature to house a sensor which ie ( watches a couple dots go round n round on the pulley shaft) this housing has the ability to stay free and not spin around and winding the cord all up.
Anyway within this picture there would be the dots one being top needle position and the other bottom needle positon, just a measurement for your selected button and or present foot position. that it in a nuts shell, now this has to allow the continued use of bobbin winding as you mentioned.  I would take a couple pictures and be able to send them to Bob for review.
Anything can be done but im positive he will calmly say if you should continue with the option or not.
Now any questions regarding sewing im lost and all ears listening to the pros, having no clues on this craft yet.
Hope this helps a bit Good Day

Toledo Mach. Sales

Jeremy,
Can you give me the make & model?I really doubt if it will fit  because there's an adapter flange that  needs to mount on the end of the handwheel,it won't fit on your knob.
Bob
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

DDandJ

Here are pics of my machine.  It's a Bernina 950 Industrial.  The hand wheel is approximately 3" in diameter and the hand wheel release is approximately 1 3/4" in diameter.  If the needle positioner won't fit I'll still go with a servo motor.

Toledo Mach. Sales

Yes,you won't be able to mount the sensor on this machine with the type of knob on it,but a servo will still fit & work a lot better than a clutchmotor.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

DDandJ

Thanks for the clarification, Bob.  I'll be in touch soon to order that servo.

Jeremy

bobbin

I ordered a new bench top for my W&G overlock and a servo motor to replace the original clutch motor.  I asked about needle positioning and was told the needle positioner has to fasten to the hand wheel so it can relay the needle's position back to the motor.  Because my overlock chains off, the needle positioning feature is not as important as it would be on a lockstitch machine. 

I'm looking forward to the quiet servo that can be turned on in the morning and turned off in the afternoon, rather than the noisy on/off routine of years past!  (also looking forward to the nice clean bench top and the installation of the new thread stand!).

Mojo

Bobbin:

Your going to love the servo. I cannot see how some can stand the humming of a clutch motor all day. But then I guess if you cut your teeth on clutch motors then you get used to the noise.

I am going to suspect your going to also enjoy the reduced electric bills. :)

I love my servo's.

Chris

fragged8

October 06, 2013, 05:18:58 pm #10 Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:20:55 pm by fragged8
I have a servo with needle positioner and i'd never go back to a clutch motor .
heres a vid of my machine and an idea of how controllable it can be

you have to kind of ignore the air operated foot lift :-)

http://youtu.be/IufU5xhGfB8

Therapy

Hi Bob How much for a servo motor with a speed dial for my 563 juki
  thanks Mike From Livonia MI.
Juki 563

bobbin

Fragged, does your machine allow you control the "step" pneumatically, too?  I have basically the same set-up on my Juki, but I have to adjust the step with a dial atop the machine.  I've been thinking of adding the pneumatic adjustment. 

Toledo Mach. Sales

Quote from: Therapy on October 08, 2013, 04:32:59 am

Hi Bob How much for a servo motor with a speed dial for my 563 juki
  thanks Mike From Livonia MI.

$110.00 + shpg approx $15-20.00
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

bobbin

After some delay in delivery my overlock machine has been converted from a clutch motor to a servo.  I should have done it years ago!  It's quiet, responsive, and I love it.  It's an "Enduro" and it has an option called "soft start" that allows you set the motor to start off slowly rather than just taking off full tilt.  I didn't have it set for that but do any of you with servos have/use that option?