Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 04:34:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Broken no sag spring

Started by BigJohn, September 03, 2013, 10:13:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohn

My favorite Lane recliner has a broken no sag/ zig zag spring. I plopped my big fat a** down in it too hard one too many times and and one of the 4 or 5 strips of zig zag spring broke. Now keep in mind this is at the cottage and we prescribe to the "good enough for up north" philosophy around here, do I have to replace all the springs or just the one that broke and even more up north ish could I just make a repair by clamping a new section of spring on to the broken end to make it whole again?

BigJohn

P.S.: Chris be kind if you reply to this! he he he

sofadoc

Yes to replacing just one spring (but I would connect it to the others with some type of stakewire or spring tie).

No to splicing a new piece of spring to the old one.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

September 04, 2013, 02:00:06 pm #2 Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:03:14 pm by byhammerandhand
I have found it really unusual that springs break.   I've only encountered two instances of this -- both on the same piece and the second time was a second break on the same spring.  (defective steel??)

More often, the spring clip has come loose.   In order not to have to remove a ton of upholstery, I use spring repair clips

instead of the original style, shown here:

While it may or may not apply in your instance, here it is for future reference or if someone finds this thread.

I'm still waiting for an "up north solution" where I find a pair of vice-grips holding the springs. :-)
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

SteveA

That's a nice looking piece of hardware.  I've just used a 50 cent mending plate and a piece of braided wire but I'm cheap.  Where do you order fancy stuff like that ?

SA

sofadoc

By the way, what is the difference between "Up north solution", and "Southern engineering"?

I remember when I was a kid, people around here had to start using the term "Southern engineering" when the term "N*****rigging" became socially unacceptable.

Most any upholstery supply carries the clips in Hammer's pics.
Most often, when the spring does actually break, it's because there is no type of stakewire connecting the no-sag springs to each other. So the springs "give" too much and spread apart when you sit down.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

BigJohn

hammerandhand;

I found that repair clip listed on DLT's sight for $30 each does that sound right?

BigJohn

gene

BigJohn,

$1.05 so is the going rate. Your $30 each is for a bag of 25. If you need that many, that's about right. There are places where you can buy just one.

gene

PS: I don't want to speak for byhammerandhand, but if you, Mr. byhammerandhand, are paying $30 each, I'll be glad to sell you as many as you want for $29.50 each. Now that's a BIG savings.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Big John:

No comments from me. I try not to throw stones inside glass houses......especially when I also own a big fat a**. :)

Chris

byhammerandhand

I get mine same place Gene does, Sunshine foam.  $1.05 each or bag of 25 for $19.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison