Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 01:44:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Efficiency!!!

Started by baileyuph, August 01, 2013, 06:40:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Some good examples of efficiency.

Cutting tables set-up in the center of the room. Accessible by all workers for multiple tasks.

Sewing machines set up in an orderly fashion. Workers need quick access to machines and sewing supplies.

Tools and supplies set up efficiently. Minimal amount of movement to finish a project.

Efficient schedule. Each employee knows their next project, fabric and changes needed to complete the project. 

Workshop flow. Even in a small shop the way a project flows through can save crucial time. From the stripper to the upholsterer to the cushion sewer to the QC inspector and out he door for delivery.

Some shops see efficiency as a way to make more profits and others see it as a way to compete. Some may say these examples are more suited for a factory rather than a custom shop. But over the last several years I've seen plenty of shops fold up and a little edge could be all it takes to stay in business.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

August 11, 2013, 07:04:47 am #16 Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:37:52 pm by DB
Those are good examples of efficiency, some physical planning and mental as well.  Strong points.

As a note, for a particular requirement, that took 7 hours on the first job, after a few more jobs I have reduced that time requirement down to just a couple minutes less than three.  It pays $175, and I potentially see improvement to reduce another 15 minutes.  This is a commercial account and the work is there, so I want to eventually get three of them done in a day, even if it took 8.5 hours.  I will get there.....if the old body holds out.  LOL.

Tools are the primary direction I am going in at this time.  A minute here and one there sure takes the physical wear off, meaning  I feel less exhausted doing more now working with greater efficiency, and the pay, I explained.

I am even looking at clean up time, I would like to get that down, even 5 or 10 minutes would help.  It is all time, time is money.

Doyle

Rich

I have to say that the absolute best method for becoming efficient and putting more money into the bottom line is doing multiples of the same thing. Every time I have that situation, my mind/hand relationship goes into high gear and time documentations prove that the last unit was produced in a lot less time than the first. Only problem in my business is that most of my work is one different piece at a time.:(
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

byhammerandhand

I'm currently reading a book "Working at Woodworking" by Jim Tolpin. 

After nearly failing at business, he took a look around, re-oriented everything and turned it all around.  While it's for a related business (custom kitchen cabinets), it is not too far of a stretch to transpose "pneumatic nailer" to "pneumatic stapler" and "table saw" to "sewing machine."

The first section is on "The Shop" -- location, layout, tools, storage

Second section is on "Processes" -- streamlining work into modules called "block procedures" and how they work

Third section is on "Business" -- structure, market analysis, pricing, and marketing

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

Keith where does one get a copy of the book.  It certainly is related to my interest.

Covers some very pertnant dimensions, or the main ones;

Shop requirements
Work flow
Marketing

All draw a strong interest.  Plus, written by someone who has done that!

Doyle

byhammerandhand

I got it from the library.   We have a great library system here.  One of, if not the highest per-capita circulations in the country.   I do my share.   It was written in 1990, so some of the tools are dated, but the principles are there.

Used copies at $3,   http://www.amazon.com/Working-Woodworking-Organize-Your-Business/dp/0942391675
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

Very interested in obtaining Tolpin's paper back.  Will start with our library and go from there.

Thanks,

PS.  I read some of the reviews by readers of the book as well as others he has written.  All gave him positive reviews and like this as one of his best.

Thanks again,

Doyle

bobbin

Garment work.  Doesn't get more efficient than that. 

If you have a particular operation that you perform over and over again... get a stop watch.  That's what they do in garment factories.  It's how they determine the "rate" at which each individual operation in construction is compensated.  It's all about "time and motion".  My shop is set up with that in mind.  The fact that I'm a machine junkie has facilitated dedicated "work stations" but I know that's not possible for all shops. 

I came up in the clothing alteration/repair ranks.  Prices were based on how long it took to mark/cut/rip/replace.  To that time study was added the notions required for the work.  I can rip out a fly zipper in a pair or dungarees and replace it about 10 minutes.  Add in the price of the new zipper.  I'd do them all day long if I could!  Hems? are you kidding me? GRAVY!  Sleeve alterations... not so much, but I know the drill, am efficient, and my work is beautiful.  I charge accordingly. 

I love repair work.  I like the challenge and I have a forensic mind.  Repairs are great money for me. 

baileyuph

Making a profit is motivation and should be for any business.

Bobbin, as time goes on, assuming your business is active with furniture projects, it would or should interest furniture people here to hear where garment efficiencies apply to custom shops.

We pull staples, do pattern planning, layout, and cutting.  Then, of course sewing and installation.  Efficiencies in any of these phases would be interesting.  There are other phases in furniture that could be improved are candidates for input also. 

In custom work, furniture for example, there is significant tear down time (pulling staples).  In manufacturing, tear down time is not an issue but custom work ultimately has to compete with mass production because that time has to be accounted for.  Sometimes it takes more time to tear down than to reassemble.

Custom shop work can engage in significant tear down time, therefore needless to say an area that saving time could be good pay back.  I experience tear down time in most of repair and full custom redo work.

Doyle 

bobbin

I always reference garment work when it comes to quantifying "time and motion".  It makes "time and motion" manifest to the those too young to fully grasp the importance!

Rest assured, Doyle, I use the same stop watch equation when it comes to "tear down, pattern, lay-out, cut/mark,stitch, and fit/staple".  If you think I haven't "set the watch", then performed those steps then you're a fool! I use the watch to the monitor the time required for every operation I perform. 

kodydog

The guy I work for had one sewing machine for three upholsterers. At times I needed to use it but it was already occupied. Aggravating for sure. Next to this Consew sat another machine with a cover over it. As far as everybody knew it worked. One day I needed to do a lot of sewing and so did another upholsterer. I decided it was time to unveil the other machine. I found a perfectly good Brother. A little dusting and oiling and we were sewing away. I suggested we put dark thread in one machine and light in the other. But the other upholsterers said they don't like the Brother because it sews to fast. Hmmm. So now I have my own machine, which is fine because I don't have to change the thread every time I use it.

I have my own cutting table (thank god). It is 52" wide (odd) by 8'. When I first started working there it was impossible to walk around it. Three sides were completely blocked. That is now changed but I've always wondered how can anybody cut a pattern from one side of the table?

The boss complains about the speed of the other upholsterers but when I make suggestions how to get production up his response is, too much trouble.

I've become the guy who tells the boss when we need supplies. Nobody else will do it. I've learned to tell him about 6 weeks before we actually need the item. He buys his supplies form different venders to save a few dollars. But I'm not sure I agree with this method. He pays shipping every time he makes an order. He could order all his supplies from one company in Jacksonville and get free and timely weekly delivery. We just waited 8 weeks for a case of 3/8 " staples.

Don't get me wrong y'all. I love working for this guy and plan to stay until I retire. But like Mojo said, sometimes its good to have someone stand outside the box and make suggestions. But what happens when they are so set in their ways there is no chance they will ever change. The thing is if they're making more money, I'm making more money. I've never told them that, maybe I should.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Kody it is good that you enjoy your work.  The boss is a good guy, I understand, but he will come around as he sees how effective you are in the shop.  Now, like you said, you have your own macine, the boss will surely notice the bump in production.

Bobbin, I probably am a fool, but not because I doubted anything.  I was merely interested in what production techniques you brought to the custom and repair business, better and faster ways of getting work done?  Some technique that specifically applies to furniture repair and reupholstery at the custom level as many of us are.  I understand that the clock is a measure of performance instead of a performance technique.  Better clock time usually stem from better performance techniques.

That is all my question was about (the techniques).

Doyle

MinUph

Bosses are funny. Mine is a great guy, takes good care of his employees and sells a lot of business. His short fall is never writing anything down. I know how this goes. If its in my head you should automatically know it too. LOL. I was like that years ago. Now in my 60s I NEED to write things down. So does he. Communication is a great thing. He is getting better. Habits are hard to break. Supplies use to be tough. But I just get what I need and if it has to be ordered he will order it.

I wish we had a 2nd working machine. Not that I want to sit at it all day but it would come in handy at times.

Other employees are a hard lot. Some are good and slow and some are fast and not so good. It seems hard to find a good medium. We do pretty well. I run the shop pretty much. As long as I know what needs to be done and how it runs well. I think persistence and seeing how things can be done differently makes a difference.

Buy ya gotta remember whose name is on the door.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

August 18, 2013, 07:34:14 pm #28 Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 08:29:41 pm by sofadoc
Kody: I guess if your table is only 52" wide, you really don't need to access it from more than one side. Unless you're a midget, you can reach across 52" :D

Some of the stories that you tell about your boss, and Bobbin tells about her former boss remind me so much of the family-owned business that I grew up in. I think that I remember Bobbin saying that they only had 1 set of welt feet that had to be shared by multiple machines.

Stuff like ordering supplies one-at-a-time, poorly organized work areas, inadequate equipment.

Foam cutters, steamers, cushion stuffers, specialty Osborne tools.........all these things were just pictures in a catalog that I drooled over.

We once joined the local Chamber of Commerce, and had a ribbon-cutting ceremony. One of the C of C officials had to loan my mother a pair of scissors because hers were too dull to cut the ribbon. She just wouldn't part with 2 bucks to get them sharpened. Of course, all that money she saved on sharpening eventually went to the carpal tunnel doctor.

When I officially took the business over back in the mid-90's, the first change I made was to order supplies in bulk from one free delivery truck. I calculated a savings of nearly $2000 in shipping costs the first year alone. And because I bought in bulk, I got better prices on the individual items.  My mother just couldn't fathom paying 60 bucks for a case of staples, but she COULD pay 12 bucks + shipping for a couple of boxes every week or 2. At gas stations, she never got more than $5 worth. I think that her greatest fear was that she would die, and leave some unused gas in her tank.

But all these stories are just more examples of what we've already determined. Many upholsterers are very good at their craft, but simply don't have a head for business.

What are MY business shortcomings? Too lazy to count every last staple, or account for every second of productivity.
I'm sure that If I DID keep a tight track of inventory, and set a stopwatch for every working minute, I'd probably make myself crazy thinking about all the money that I'm leaving on the table.
But for basic calculations of yardage and supplies figured into a job, I'd say that I'm above average.

Another weakness would probably be the whole advertising/marketing thing. Mojo says that you can't just rely on word of mouth, but that's basically what I do. Again......probably leaving a lot of money on the table there, too!
But as long as I have more than I can do, I don't worry about it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

August 19, 2013, 06:01:37 am #29 Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:03:29 am by gene
I understand your points, sofa d. Here's something additional thoughts. And I know this idea has been kicked around on this forum before.

QuoteWhat are MY business shortcomings? Too lazy to count every last staple, or account for every second of productivity.

When we look at efficiencies, these two things listed above may actually be efficient assets for some folks.

If the goal is to make money, then it could easily cost me more money accounting for every second of productivity than not.

Do I loose more money by not counting every last staple or by taking the time out of production work to actually count every last staple?

One of Stephen Cover's 7 habits of Highly Effective People is "Start with the end in mind." If my 'end' is to make money, then the only reason I would want to look at any efficiencies is to make money.

We single owners often point out that we do not make any money when we take vacations. However, if by taking a vacation we are better able to work the rest of the year, then that vacation certainly helps us make money.

Just some thoughts to think about.

I'm off to work to make some money.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!