Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 01:26:38 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

convertible top info (car guys)

Started by Mike, August 01, 2013, 02:27:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I just bought my first convertible a 2009 sebring with a cloth top looks like sunbrella but heavier  what if the best way to care for a top aside from a garage . like 303 waterproofing for boat canvas is there anything that should be done to a car top?

baileyuph

Cleaning and conditioning with a recommended product for that material, but honestly in your climate, you gotta give that top relief from all that heat.

Car cover if that is all you can do, the sun will get to it other wise.

You will protecting the interior as well, which cost more to replace than the top.

Consider the entire car needing protection is the way to go.

Doyle

Mike

your rite on the sun I have a 97 dodge pick up and the sun here has charcked the dash its a plastic texture to lok upholstered daxh and it has cracked something terrible  the car will live in the garage

Mojo

Mike:

Call MiamiMike and order a gallon of 303 fabric Guard and then use that liberally every 3 months. Be very careful about using other products, even those that are made for tops. Many of these products contain PD's ( petroleum distillates ) which is NOT good for vinyl or cloth type fabrics.

If the top is not an acrylic type fabric and is more like Soluna, Top Gun, etc, with a PVC base then use 303 protectant. For acrylic based fabrics use the 303 Fabric Guard.

I do not screw around with any other products. Most fabric manufacturers only recommend 303 products because of its formulation.

Chris

ajlelectronics

All the soft tops that I have come across are made of Mohair, Double Duck canvas or vinyl. From your description, I would say yours is Mohair.

Search for "care for mohair hood" for more information than you can shake a stick at.