Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:16:14 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Chair Caning

Started by cthomps, July 30, 2013, 10:23:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

July 30, 2013, 10:23:58 am Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:24:50 am by cthomps
Hello all.  I was wondering if any of you offer chair caning as part of your business?  I am a 4 harness weaver and have made many baskets.  With the bit of research I have done, it looks to be a reasonable art for me to learn and provide as an additional service to my customers.  I am not sure how big of a demand there is in a town of 17,000 folks but here is a town about 25 miles away that is about 80,000.  The best I can surmise, there is no one offering this service in the area.  

What do you all think?  I really enjoy weaving and basketry so it seams like a natural fit.  Question is, could actually make any money, if I invest time in learning the art? Also if you do offer this service, where do you purchase your supplies?  

Thanks for the input and opinions.   Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

byhammerandhand

I've done a little bit.   I have a long time friend who is retired and he and his wife do all sorts of caning.   She does most of the common stuff (pre-woven and hand-woven) while he does the rush work, double sided stuff, etc.   

They do it cheaper than I can afford to do it.  But then, they sit in front of the TV or do the work while the grandkids they babysit are napping.  They are earning money while they would otherwise just be sitting there.

For reference, I think they charge $1.10 a hole (count all around) for hand woven and $4 an inch (longest side) for pre-woven.  works out to $60-80 a chair for seat -or- back.   These are the "wholesale" prices.   Many of the shops around here use them and add-on a markup for their time and transportation.

They've told me they have a hard time getting quality material nowadays, and the yield on some cane is quite low.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

First, yes there is a demand for all the types of caning work, sounds like between the two, you have that covered.  Get up to speed on refinishing, the two compliment each other.
I did caning and refinishing, until I got so busy and actually made money because the more I did, I picked up speed and quality.  Actually I enjoyed it, like I said, it went over very well with wood repairs and refinishing. 

Supplies were always available, there is a vendor for anything to do with antiques here.  Cane, hardware, I had and still have good luck when I need anything now.

The quality of caning, could be down a little but sheet good seem fine and the strands for self weaving and be picked over after you buy.  The supplies are not all that expensive. 

Like I said, first I learned the art, then got so busy the jobs were out sourced but their work wasn't up to my stadards, so when I can squeeze it in, I do it.  There are a few in that business but the real good ones are hard to find.  People want quality caning.

Where you located?

Doyle

cthomps

Thanks everyone.  I live in Menomonie WI.  It is about 60 miles East of Minneapolis/St Paul.  As previously mentioned, I am a professional seamstress. I have to be able to offer my customers a wide variety of services to get enough volume to make a living.  Not to mention I get bored altering party dresses.  Thanks to all of you and my high school shop teacher (he let girls take his class) I have working knowledge of refinishing/repairing/upholstery/canvas etc. 

I borrowed a few books from our local library, and I actually own an old chair that I have had for years with a broken leather seat on it.  The first book mentioned that it was common for folks to nail leather seats instead of re-caning.  I dug the chair out and low and behold, cane holes.  Yippy.  It is a sweet little chair with a round seat. So that will be my first project.  I love to weave and actually have a dedicated room in my home for weaving.  I guess even if I don't get a lot of caning work, I will enjoy learning about it and trying something new.  From what I have figured, it isn't a big investment to get started.  I think I will be good at it and really like doing it.  Any tips would be appreciated.

SteveA

A little late to the thread but I think it's a fun skill to learn and earn as you go.  Many chair weaves fail from loose or broken joinery - therefore remember to look carefully for structural issues when pricing out a job.
I purchase supplies from H.H. Perkins in CT. and they are the nicest folks to deal with. Highly recommend them.  They also have classes if you can travel - it's worth the time to check them out. 
SA

bobbin

Particularly interesting thread to me, too.  I have several chairs that I'd love to have redone (2 "round ones, early 1960s, they're fabulous) and a few assorted "porch rockers". 

(one more skill to add to a crummy website, lol)

baileyuph

Leave your number at any antique store or caning supply store, some buy the supplies and then chicken out - they then need you.

Referrals after that........they have friends. 

Doyle

cthomps

Thank you everyone.  I think I will give it a try!  I will let you know how it goes.  Carol

ragtacker

Carol, I am one of the old old-timers here, and I have done both upholstery and seatweaving (cane, rush, etc.) for over 30 years.  There is a demand for hand caning, because there are so few of us who do it.  Google the Wickerwoman website - a few years ago, I put my name on her site, and have had people bring me chairs from Manhattan!  (I am 90 miles north!)

Jan in NY

mike802

I have been offering seat weaving for about 15 years now, I do Fiber Rush, Shaker Tape, Splint and Cain.  I have found that I can make money with everything except Hand Cain.  If I charged 4 dollars a hole I still would not make my shops hourly rate.  I like doing the weaving, but I need to make a living, why I keep doing Hand Cain I dont know.  I guess I think it might lead to other work, but at this point I am considering dropping it.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

sofadoc

It's tough to find anyone around here to do hand-woven caning. Mike says that 4 bucks per hole isn't profitable, and I only believe EVERY word of that.

Occasionally, a newcomer will drift into town, and pass out business cards advertising hand caning.
I might get 1 job out of them. The next time I call them, they're either gone, or just not interested.

Most of the time, when I give the customer some vague idea of what hand-woven caning might cost, their jaw drops to the floor. And they say "Never mind!".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Or they say, never mind I'll just cover over. Very cool find Carol. I once picked up a wing chair and after I uncovered it I found the wings and arms were caned. Sheet style not holes but still had fun restoring it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

cthomps

I am "fortunate" to work out of my home so my over head is low.  I also always seem to have more time than money :)  I can't post pictures because my computer crashed and Kodak no longer supports the software. As soon as I get around that little issue, I will post before and afters.

I am going to give it a try with my little chair.  I just saw a hand caned rocker at friends house and it was truly a piece of art.  With more experience and advice from all of you, I will be able to see if it is something I want to offer as a service. In my little town, I would be surprised if I got one a year. 

Thanks for all of your advice.  Warm regards.  Carol