Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 02:38:14 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cockpit Cover

Started by jojo, July 27, 2013, 03:54:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

I've been looking at a lot of pictures of cockpit covers today, because I'm working on a 1989 Four Winns Horizon 200. The original cover (which had a Four Winns label on it) went over the rails, instead of cutouts.
While fitting the blank, I'm finding that this creates a lot of wrinkles, starting at the pole and going to the rails. I of course want to eliminate the problem  by making the cutouts, but was just wondering why anybody does it the other way. Does it promote better water runoff? Also, it is confounding that the original cover didn't have any darts in it.

Mike

July 27, 2013, 06:31:51 pm #1 Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 06:45:14 pm by Mike
I don't knos what you meen by pole and the rails?
after moving to florida I don't see many like this one a did 2 years ago is your anythingnlike this

Eric

If making a full mooring cover, go over rails. Use darts if needed. Just because they didn't originally, does not mean you can't.
Your the canvasmaker, you design the correct solution, don't copy bad canvas.
Eric

Grebo

I agree with Eric, but what does the customer want ?

Suzi

jojo

Mike, I'm talking about the boat cover support pole that I prop up under there while I'm fitting it. The boat is similar to the one in your pic, but the steel rails that are at the bow (in your pic), they are at the back and sides of the rear on this boat. I've never gone over them before. The customer probably doesn't even know that you can go around the rails, but is probably expecting them to look like the original. I hate darts when they're not necessary.
Eric, the cover will be a cockpit cover that goes over the windshield, and then a separate bow cover.

Mike

I see where it was a oem cover with a four wins logo im sure it probably fit well at first. I hate going over handrail as it can sreach a dam effect pooling water  it may wave puddle and stretched  perhaps that the reason of the wrinkles if it looks better to you jojo to fit under and around the handrails suggest it to the customer explaining the possibility of was pudleing if the canvas stretches a bit then making more probability of pooling  saying it would be a better improved way of making it .

jojo