Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:23:20 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

BEA Stapler Issue

Started by baileyuph, August 25, 2013, 06:16:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

My BEA staple gun, built in Germany, causes an extra staple to come out during stapeling.  Works, but the extra staple, usually flying out of course isn't right. 

Checked the screws, allen that hold the assembly together, no loosness found.

Then, got to wondering if it was the staples, they aren't labelled Bea staples. 

The obvious question is; are others having this problem with extra staples flying out and what staples are working for the BEA gun?

From experimenting just a little, I notices the problem occurs more frequently when doing thin or few layers of materials.  Do not experience the problem when fabrics get thicker or layers are added.  I was using 1/4 inch staples and shooting into plywood and/or composition wood.  Air pressure was around 80 to 90 lbs.

Which direction to go next, different brand of stapes, some designed and approved by BEA?  If anyone has the gun without the problem, which brand and legnth of staples are being used?

This is not a long nose gun, conventional.
Doyle

sofadoc

I've used many different brands of staples with my BEA gun over the years. It seems like I recall having that problem  a time or two. And I think that it was with 1/4" staples.

Technically, if the staples are #7, 71 series, type C, 22 ga., 3/8" crown, etc.... they should all be the same. But you never know, there might be some off-brand that is slightly smaller (allowing the driver to catch all of one staple, and part of the next one). And sometimes it seems like the staples aren't bonded together very well, so that when the first staple gets driven, it takes the next one with it.

Another thought. Make sure there aren't any burrs on your driver blade that might catch more than one staple.

If you want, I can send you a couple bullets of my staples so you can compare possible differences in brands.

What brand of staples do you have?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Not really related but it might be.
  We use Bostitch staples in the 3/8" size for many years. Lately these staples don't drop in the carriage like they use to. They have to literally pushed into the gun's carriage. They do feed fine though. I was thinking it was the guns but after troubleshooting I found these staples are the culprit. All other "off brand" staples are fine. So maybe it is a bad batch and you should try sofa's strips to see. Or try another brand.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

My BEA starts to misfire on the last 5 to 10 staples of the strip. I figured it's the spring not having as much tension as it used to have. I put a new strip in behind these last few staples and they work fine.

Could this be right?

Also, last month I started to wonder if the strips were smaller, not as many staples as they used to have. I couldn't find any difference when measuring the length. I also checked the box to make sure it was that same size as an older box. I'm not sure why I started thinking this. Must have been a project where I needed more staples that I expected and I was grabbing new strips more often than expected.?

Doyle, that last staple might be like a Pringle potato chip. Isn't there always one Pringle in the can that is broken? It's been awhile since I had a Pringle, so I might be thinking of something else.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Back to the original question. I've used the same BEA gun every day for over 10 years now. Only rarely have I used genuine BEA brand staples. I usually buy whatever the supply truck brings.

The only brand that I won't buy, is EZ from Chick Tools, Shelbyville,Tn. I had too many jams with that brand. It may have just been a bad batch like Paul had. But I don't buy them anymore.

BTW I keep a separate cheap off-brand stapler loaded with 1/4" staples just for covering thin panels.

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on August 25, 2013, 07:43:15 am
My BEA starts to misfire on the last 5 to 10 staples of the strip. I figured it's the spring not having as much tension as it used to have. I put a new strip in behind these last few staples and they work fine.

Could this be right?
I've had that problem with other guns before. If you can form a new end on the spring, you can increase the tension by shortening it a little. Also, I've had to take the magazine apart, and polish the entire track with a fine grit sandpaper such as Emery cloth. And polish that "pusher clip" too.

chrisberry12

I have found it is not the spring but the staple pusher that the spring clips on to. You may need to replace that. You can get them on ebay for cheap.

baileyuph

I have checked the staple brand (1/4 inch) that the problem happens with -- Bostitch.  I am not saying it doesn't happen with other brands.  Given time I will check my staples made in France (Empire), and also my staples made in Tennessee that Sofa said he had a problem with.  I have other guns while the work load is very heavy is why I haven't consumated this BEA inccorrect fire (multiples) analysis.

Another approach is take the gun to my BEA dealer and let them check it out.  One check I need to make is does the problem happen with other staple brands in larger sizes?  Can't check the other brands for 1/4 inch, I don't have any.  LOL.

I usually have good luck with all staplers, but after enough use, they can need parts.

So, got checking to do and it might end up the dealer will get to do some checking. 

Doyle

baileyuph

QuoteI usually have good luck with all staplers, but after enough use, they can need parts.

I may have another gun needing parts, it may be the empire.  Where do we get parts for those?

The distributor of purchase is gone.

I need to make a list of all the guns I have, then I can be more succinct