Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 02:48:21 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

a possible oppertunity

Started by Mike, July 18, 2013, 08:03:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

dealers ive worked for. Most have gone out if buisness. My last 2 the boat house closed the local shop and kept there original operation in cape coral. 30+ minutes south   Then they open a place in englewood 25+ minutes west. A bit to far for me to go to. And my last place boaters wharehouse had a dhop local but he lost the buisness about a year and a half ago.  Shortly after he lost it the boat house from cape coral. Bought the property from the bank they called me about a month ago to do some upholstery repair then that cover i spoke off when i was there te new manager there mention how they had just bough the building next door and are going to open a large repair facility. And there is alot of space  and said i ought to contact the boss and see about space i said sounds cool.   So this afternoon the manager from the englewood location who ive known for years called me to mention tye same thing and would i be interested.
I would make covers cor the local store and the other store i would make cover that could be sent to them. And possibly in lue of rent.
If i was interested hed set up a face to face with the boss when the time comes.  
Now saw the boss when i delevered the bill last week for the cover i did so im sure there was talk going on.   Its sounds tempting possibly better space in a marine facility serving 3 seperate  saLes locations.  
Depends on what they would want for rent. I wouldnt want to have to due  more work to cover the rent. When i can do less for my current rent   And id be kinda obligated to out them first.

baileyuph

Would this arrangement change your style of business?

Would you still pattern each job the way you do now, on the boat?  Or could it lead to using a pattern for repeat covers?

Lots of questions unanswered, how solvent is this company? 

To early to know what to think.  If this company is solvent, progressive, keep gathering information, then a better decision can be made.

It is reasonable to think that the volume will increase. 

Regarding the rent?  Well, would the company be interested in you as their employee?

Size it up on all information available.

Doyle

sofadoc

July 19, 2013, 05:53:50 am #2 Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:05:17 am by sofadoc
I've had offers like that in the past. And the places that made me those offers are all gone now, and I'm still here. One huge furniture store owner offered to give me his entire 6,000 sq. ft. 3rd floor. And their in-house decorator  down on the first floor would send all of her clients up to me. The store went "belly-up" about 2 years later.

A local refinisher approached me once about the 2 of us sharing a facility. Reupholstery and refinishing all in one location seemed like a match made in heaven. Thankfully, I got to know him better before we ever put that idea in motion. I would've murdered him inside of 2 weeks. >:(

I'm not saying that it's a bad idea. It might work out well for both of you. But I'd have a contingency plan ready.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

He isn't risking as much as you - you're the one moving a business to something yet to be determined. Why not ask him to put up a sum of money - to even things up and invest in you. 

SA

gene

My SCORE business adviser says to get everything in writing with signatures for anything that is business related.

It seems to me that when one party insists on getting everything in writing the other party looses interest in the deal. I don't think this is necessarily someone being dishonest. I think it's often the case that the one party who looses interest loves the idea and just doesn't want to be bothered with the details. Which is why so many 'deals' just don't work out.

I love the idea of running in the Badwater Ultramarathon, but I don't like to think about the details of what it would take to get me to a place where I could actually do it.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Sometimes, I think there is too much emphasis put on "Getting everything in writing".
You may have a written agreement, but if the other guy stubbornly refuses to honor that agreement, your only recourse is to sue them. And litigation is always a dicey proposition.

And if the partner goes broke, what good is suing them gonna do?

I'd rather have a "fallback" plan than a bunch of empty written promises. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

ive had 6 dealer some very small and one  the largest in the country that have ckosed the locak shop or went totally out altogether, I was always concerned abiout loosing them as tyhey were a lot of income nut ivce been without any for about down to ine then none for 3 years now. and no problems,   dealers always want a discount because they have many jobs , and yes doyle I have had repeat patterns on new boat covers  in the past and would again one reason less work for less payment ok but ive never gotten a deposite   from a dealer  so I front the materials myself small dealer always paid asap but the larger one had more time to cut the check and mail it from there main office .
thia dealer was one of the slow payers about 2 weeks , so I can see between the 3 shop possibly want at the same time 4 or 5 jobs and I couls hAVE A COUPLE GRAND IN MATEWRIALS TO LAY OUT NO DEPOSITE  THAT WOULD BE SOMTHING ID HAVE TO discus with them .
that and they woukd want it asap befor my customers I got going on at thwe time so im working to get a check from a job and they want a new top asap I wouldn't like that at all

my thought are its hot here in the summer and id like to cool my current shop that btw the rent is really low and the owner has told me hed like to sell it and retire. so I wouldn't want to eclose my tble with insulation and install a ac unit here if the new place it    a good deal id need the same square FOOTAGE AND AC , IT WOUILD BE NICE THE POTENTIAL WORK FRIOM THE SALES AND THE LOCATION ALTHOUGHT NOT GREWAT IS A BIT MORE VIVSABLE THEM MY CURRENT INDUSTRIAL PARK AND IT HAS A SMALL LOCAL YACHT CLUB NOT ON THE WATEWR ACROOS FROM IT . and in about 5 years id really like to retire and just do a few jobs as I see fit in my little but cold home shop that is currently a big storage shop for my lawnmower,
so ive got some thinking .

just bouncing this out there thanks for your opinions

Mike

well i met with one of the owners today/it would be good for them having a canvas shop on- site.
and it could been more easy work for me a good thing depending on rent ect. and it would be cool working space not as open as i have now but doable and with  more work could be dome rather then sweatihng to death and leaving early to go home. and heat there are a few days it pretty cold in the shop in December January .
he has to go talk with his partner and get back to me. and i would have a lot more visivilty from boaters who buya boat or part or service once there new facility is in full swing .something i don't have in the back in a industrial park all by myself

MinUph

Mike,
  I know you've been talking about this for sometime and have read the nay sayers comments on it. You don't sound real happy working out of the rented space you have now. Only my opinion here but if it were me I think I would go for it. After all it isn't a life long commitment and if you don't like how it works out you can always find another industrial park place to rent right!
  Good luck with this I hope it all works out for you.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

I think you have gotten some good advice. In many cases I would advise someone in a business deal to make sure you get a good written contract and then have it reviewed by an attorney. In your case and since there is no cash exchanging hands then I would advise a very simple contract laying out the responsibilities of you and them. keep it short and simple and just cover the highlights.

I have seen deals like this go south after two months because one party was expected to do this or that and they forget just what was agreed upon. Get it in writing but keep the contract or agreement simple. If you want me to review anything before you sign it Mike let me know. I have done a ton of contract work over the years.

I have to agree with Paul. It does sound like your not real crazy about your current setup. If your not happy then take a swing at this deal if it presents itself. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

BTW, I did the sweat shop Florida summer work thing with no air. Never again. It is a killer, even with fans blowing hot air on you. :)

Chris

Mike

thanks chris before I spend money and time to cool my current space ( wich is my major problem) I want to her what there offer is,  I don't think it will be no money deal as id need to show the expense to my bookkeeper for deductions.my concern is if the cost was reasonable is ive never got a deposit from a dealor and when a bill is turned in on job completion this place has always been 2 weeks to cut the check   so if I spend time doing work for them with no deposit 1  then wait for a check 2 and have to pay rent with no money taken in during that time  3.  it would hbe easier work as id pattern a particular boat and keep the patterns and as needed they would specify color   and I could make it . ive always installed the cover also so producing for distant  locations the cover could be shipped for a lesser rate for there techs to install but I wouldn't have to go out in the heat and pattern a boat normally on a lift for a private customer  id be in a cool enviorment  and the plus is Id probly set up my vinyl cutter and get back into boat lettering . either that or ill stay where im at install AC  and have lower overhead

Mojo

Depending on the dealer it can take up to a month to get a check cut. The bigger the dealer the longer it takes. Most large dealers write checks once every two weeks. That typically coincides with their payroll. I have one large dealer who pays every two weeks. The smaller ones tend to cut checks in a day or so of billing. I always bill NET 30 days.

I personally dread doing jobs for dealers simply because I always feel like I loose money. I have to drop my price to give them room to upcharge to their customer so I hate cutting my margins like that. That is why I market directly to coach owners and hide from dealers. But they still find me from time to time. :(

I always try to keep a running balance of $ 2k in the checking account and about a grand in cash in the safe. That money I use when doing rallys ( fuel, food, etc. ) I pay for all my materials with a credit card but pay that off at the end of each month. This month has been a killer as I have ordered over $ 2k worth of fabric from Miami. Ouch.... Thankfully I have alot of outstanding orders to replenish my checking account. I dont sleep well when that account starts getting low.

Chris

Mike

well its been week and I havnt heard a rent number yet . I got a order to make a top Tuesday and delivered it today I think  it may have been a test from the other partner. and they may just to busy setting up there new pfacility      to get together and come up with a figure