Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 08:00:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Could re-upholstery be making a comeback?

Started by Rich, July 08, 2013, 04:11:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on July 12, 2013, 07:33:23 pm
Not that I ever saw an Upholstery class if school but learning a trade also teaches quality workmanship. And that follows to anything you see or need in life.
When I was in high school here in Greenville Tx, we actually had a really nice vocational dept. A separate building that housed classes for Auto Mechanics, Metal Trades, Wood Shop, Radio/TV Repair......and yes, Upholstery.

The vocational programs were eventually cut from the budget for a simple reason. They tracked the students after graduation. 5 years later, the # of students still involved in the trades they had trained for was almost zero.

One encouraging aspect......while few young men and women are choosing upholstery as a profession, there are actually a lot of the 40+ age group getting into the biz as a mid-life career change. So maybe the upholstery workforce isn't necessarily shrinking, just changing demographics. And it could be a positive for the trade, with the average newcomer to the business being more mature.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Now thats refreshing news Sofa. Makes sense too.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Rich

MinUph, well said. I know there are areas of the country where folks just will not spend on upholstery more than they would for a cheap replacement and if that's your market, then you'd probably believe that it's that way all over.
I trained for a high school Industrial Arts teaching position. I had no idea that the world would change as much as it did. I think it's too bad that this type of education has been totally neglected in our schools. I do see signs that people are starting to realize that a college education is not for everyone. Just look at the numbers of young, college educated people in debt up to their eyeballs with no decent job prospects. Things will have to gradually change, The pendulum will have to swing back to a point where they realize that there is value in learning a skilled trade and maybe along with that will come a desire to pay a little more for quality that will last like it used to.
We'll see.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

byhammerandhand

When I was involved with a furniture repair franchise, the average franchisee was:
- Male (or a husband-wife team)
- about 50 years old
- from a technical field such as engineering
- college graduate

Quote from: sofadoc on July 12, 2013, 08:17:06 pm
One encouraging aspect......while few young men and women are choosing upholstery as a profession, there are actually a lot of the 40+ age group getting into the biz as a mid-life career change. So maybe the upholstery workforce isn't necessarily shrinking, just changing demographics. And it could be a positive for the trade, with the average newcomer to the business being more mature.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mojo

I have always appreciated the school system they have in Australia. I have watched numerous nieces and nephews go through high school and then trade school or University. In this country you go to school through 10th grade. You then decide if your going to go on to college or University or maybe pursue a trade.

If you select the University route you continue to go through high school. If you want to learn a trade then you begin trade school. They have so many different trades you can pursue. Hair stylist, auto mechanic, plumber, electrician, HVAC, diesel mechanic, carpenter, bookeeper, drafts person, etc. Most of these programs last two years and after that many go into their trade and a few start an apprenticeship.

One of my nieces went on to Uni and became a CPA. One nephew has gone on and become an engineer. One became a hair stylist and one is now into auto mechanics.

I believe there are many of these trade schools in the US still but the programs they offer are getting less and less. Meanwhile we have a shortage of HVAC tech's, diesel and auto mechanics.

Chris

MinUph

Yes for awhile here in the US everyone seemed to think you had to go to college to do anything worthwhile. I remember friends that graduated college and never went into the vocation they studied for. Don't get me wrong. If someone wants to go to college it is great. But for the people that don't want to the trades have always been an honest way to make a living. And something everyone needs. Tradesmen (people LOL) should be proud and we need more to keep the country going.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Rich

I think when the high schoolers taking the vocational route became looked down on, they started to shy away from it. Today, two things are paramount-status and money. So you "have" to have a job that others will admire you for, and/or, you have to show others that you have money. It seems to me too few people have a sense of satisfaction from just being who they are and that's a problem.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Rich

I came across this this morning. The author of the book gives reasons for why he believes today's college tuition costs are so high and talks about the reasons why so many have felt the need to go to college even when it was not affordable for them.
Rich

sofadoc

OK, we've established that a main obstacle preventing re-upholstery from making a "comeback" is the fact that so much of the new furniture on the market nowadays is cheap junk.

4 times a year, I take a few truckloads of abandoned furniture to the city dump. Usually a couple of couches, and 4 or 5 chairs and recliners. Stuff that people had good intentions of getting recovered, but for whatever reason, lost interest in the project.

I was selecting furniture from my store room today to haul off next week. It occurred to me that every time I haul old furniture off, ironically  it's usually GOOD QUALITY furniture that I'm disposing of. They get the cheap junk recovered, and throw the well-built furniture away. I know......makes no sense. But a lot of people really don't want a couch that weighs more than 2 adults. The cheap stuff is easier to move around, and is always a more up-to-date style.

byhammerandhand

On another (consumer) forum, a poster said that her saleswoman told her that sofas are designed to last 5-7 years. :o
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Rich

Quote from: sofadoc on July 16, 2013, 09:06:37 am
OK, we've established that a main obstacle preventing re-upholstery from making a "comeback" is the fact that so much of the new furniture on the market nowadays is cheap junk.

4 times a year, I take a few truckloads of abandoned furniture to the city dump. Usually a couple of couches, and 4 or 5 chairs and recliners. Stuff that people had good intentions of getting recovered, but for whatever reason, lost interest in the project.

I was selecting furniture from my store room today to haul off next week. It occurred to me that every time I haul old furniture off, ironically  it's usually GOOD QUALITY furniture that I'm disposing of. They get the cheap junk recovered, and throw the well-built furniture away. I know......makes no sense. But a lot of people really don't want a couch that weighs more than 2 adults. The cheap stuff is easier to move around, and is always a more up-to-date style.

A poorly made product keeps the public perpetually buying replacements.
I'm not going to get on my soapbox on this, BUT, greed is the name of the game today and it's to the point that one has to make a concerted effort nowadays to not go along with it. So, most products are made with a short life in mind to keep I think, not only to keep the profits rolling in, but to keep the economy running. Sad.
Rich

MinUph

What Rich said..
  We have become a throw away society. In some cases it is ok to have this type of furniture. I could never afford myself if I had to pay for my services. So I don't have a problem with others that might not be able to either. Quality furniture is more of a luxury nowadays. Actually it has always been.

I know what you are saying about having to "make a concerted effort not to". It has become near impossible not to buy this stuff.

The part that really gets me is the quality part. No one cares or even know what quality is any more.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Retailers of quality furnitue, made in the USA, have been put out of business at a noticeable rate because consumers opted for he cheaper Asian (foreign ) furniure. 

Manufacturing has to build what sells, stuff sells only if consumers buy.

An added point about the economy;  most of the cheaply made furniture is sold on credit or a lease arrangement (lease to own). 

The current situation adds up; consumers can't afford high quality and manufacturers would go out of business trying to sell more of it.  Like has been said, the retailers of higher quality merchandise are the furniture stores going out of business. 

Manufactureres are just trying to stay in business.  A quality upholstered piece cannot be built and sold for what the popular priced lower quality furniture is marketed for.  Consumer values are also playing a major role in what sells.  Electronics (computers, phones, and big screen tv) demonstrate that statistic. 

What percent are unemployed and/or on social programs today?  The number is large, factor that in and the furniture market is understandable.  It is the economy! 

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on July 16, 2013, 04:52:58 pm
On another (consumer) forum, a poster said that her saleswoman told her that sofas are designed to last 5-7 years. :o
If the sofas that she's selling are lasting up to 7 years, she must be selling the modern-day version of "High end" furniture.  :o

I think I remember a discussion on one of these forums about manufacturers using the term "Lifetime warranty" on their recliners. But the fine print defines "Lifetime" as the life of the chair (usually 5 years)......NOT the life of the consumer.

With all the EZ financing available (example: no payments 'til 2015), I've actually had customers tell me that the couch they bought 2-3 years ago is already at the local landfill BEFORE the first payment is even due.

And I've heard customers complain "That sofa should've lasted longer! I paid $2500 for it!"
NO! $2500 was the sum total of all their payments, including an outrageous interest rate.
The amount of interest paid should not be applied to the (perceived) value of the sofa.   

Rich

QuoteI think I remember a discussion on one of these forums about manufacturers using the term "Lifetime warranty" on their recliners. But the fine print defines "Lifetime" as the life of the chair (usually 5 years)......NOT the life of the consumer.

So, it'll last as long as it lasts right?

Doyle-You're saying that manufacturers are only reacting to customers who can't afford much and are cutting quality to meet that need. I'm sure that's right, but I think my point is based on the general retail environment where products have to be made cheaply to satisfy the demands of consumers who have bought into the" gotta have what the neighbors have" mentality and the greedy business folks are only too happy to fuel the condition with high level psychological ads that are very hard for many to resist. I think we've all become part of a vicious cycle that has no happy ending for most of us. We're all constantly bombarded with these ads and they must be working b/c they're still coming at us.
Rich