Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 10:35:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Binding Tiny Cut Outs

Started by jojo, June 29, 2013, 10:55:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

How do you marine folks go about binding tiny cutouts on a cover, such as a 2" slit?
Thanks,
Jo

bobbin

Do you have a right angle binder, Jojo?  That's what I use and it's easier to get in close in tight quarters than it is with a straight on binder.  Also, make sure you use bias cut binding. 

Tejas

I'm hoping that folks will describe their techniques in detail. I'm guessing that binding the top and bottom of a slit is a special case of binding a 90 degree inside corner -- essentially two very tight inside corners in a row on each end.

I have a a right-angle binder. I'm just an amateur, and for a 90 degree inside corner, without using the binder sew about 1 inch of binding on each side of the corner, mitering the binder at the corner, and later over-sew the binding using the binder. I use seam-stick tape to help hold the corner-binding in place. I've un-picked several inside corners that didn't work using the binder, and mitering without the binder has been the only way I've been even close to successful.

For a short, two-inch cut-out, I'd not be able use the right-angle binder effectively.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

Eric

June 29, 2013, 03:21:26 pm #3 Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 03:23:25 pm by Eric
Depends on cutout. However, just bind as normal, fold opposite side of slit over so back is facing up. When you get to the point where you are going to change direction, wheel the needle down at that point, ( you can adjust stitch length by using reverse while wheeling by hand). At this point spin panel and flip the previous folded over side, back to right side up, and bind down that side. If this is unclear, and it could be, I will take a picture.
I never use bias cut binding, unless I wanted to bind a smile. And even then, I never use bias cut binding. Bias cut stretches. Use what works for you.
Also You may have to add 1 stitch at the top of slit, while coming around.
I would do a 2" slit by hand, otherwise I have binder.
Eric

bobbin

Perfect description from Eric.  That's exactly what I do, but you can do it without working the back side, too.  Much more fiddly, but some people prefer it. 

jojo

Thanks guys. I don't have a right angle binder,  just a regular one.  I think I can handle it now.

Mike

I have a right angle but I never use it couldn't get the  ang of it ive done everything weith a general chepo folder 2" slit that pretty small what is it for jojo?

Grebo

Good description from Eric, but at the same time I always use bias cut precisely for the reason it does stretch & move with the cover, like he said, do what works for you.
I also do a lot of free hand around the tricky bits can be quicker & simpler once you got the hang of it.

Suzi

Tejas

July 01, 2013, 02:17:37 pm #8 Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 10:57:12 am by Tejas
I was unable to follow Eric's description - my limited experience since others had no problem. Although I've never sewed any clothing, I thought that it might be possible to adapt the technique of binding of a skirt kick-pleat to binding even a short slit using a binder without making a 180 degree turn.

Here's a brief slideshow that shows the process.

http://s742.photobucket.com/user/Tejasdave/slideshow/Binding%20a%20Slit

Slide 1:

On the WS mark the slit, the width of the finished binding and diagonal end-tab.  Cut the slit and end-tabs.

Slide 2:

On both sides of slit, fold the fabric along the top and bottom end-points of the tabs and bind with an about an inch extra of binding on each end.

Slide 3:

On the WS on both ends of the slit, fold the fabric and sew the triangular tab to the binding on both sides.

Slides 4 (WS) and 5 (RS) show the result of:

Sewing the overlapped the ends of the binding.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

jojo

Thanks Tejas, this is very helpful. I'm going to do it this way.
Mike, it's an old ski boat with no cleats anywhere, just a ring mounted on the top of the boat maybe six inches from the tip of the bow. This is the only way to tie the boat up at the dock.
I'd take a picture, but it's been raining here in the northeast constantly for almost a whole week.

fragged8

i've tried binders several times and get really frustrated with them so mostly bind by hand
using sunbrella 7/8" centerfold binding..

Rich

Mike

I know what your talking of jojo  there used for lifting the boat out of the water ive got one on my boat also

jojo

That's it Mike, only it's mounted closer to the front. I used Teja's method and it turned out great. I didn't even bother putting the binder on, because the slit was so small.