Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 05:39:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Outdoor Cushion Material

Started by baileyuph, May 26, 2013, 06:46:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

What material is a good selection for outdoor cushions exposed to moisture?

In business, I get this question but hesitate on the answer if the cushion(s) are significantly exposed to moisture.  I envision there really isn't anything because moisture wlll penetrate a seams, even if fabric is 100% water proof.

Hard for me to understand anyone leaving furniture exposed to the elements like that.

This request came up recently and didn't commit, just commented that seating in boats should be covered from the elements when not in use.

The filler in an outdoor cushion would have to be considered also.

Doyle

bobbin

There are some really great looking mesh products out there.  Phifer has some dynamite stuff, and it wears like iron.  I have cushions made of Dickson acrylic that are now 8 yrs. old and are still looking pretty good. 

I have trouble sourcing the super dense polyester batting inserts.  The stuff is brutal to cut but it's wicked rugged.  I have a set of cushions that I hauled off the kerb along with the chaises longues that are stuffed with it.  I figure the chaises are from the late '80s/early 90s and the cushions are still fine.  That's some tough stuff!

I particularly like reticulated foam (open cell) for inserts.  I also like that gluing different densities of the stuff can make a more comfortable cushion.  The acrylic cushions I mentioned above have reticulated foam in them and they're fine.  They've been outdoors spring-fall for a long time now and still look great.  I clean the covers every fall but have never retreated them for water repellency. 

MinUph

Doyle,
  As you have been reading here Acrylics are made for outdoors. Sunbrella, Outdura, the other Raycryl (sp) etc. etc. These fabrics can withstand sun, water, soil better than anything I have seen. Thread makes a large difference in outdoor work. I use Poly but there is even better as Chris mentions but that is expensive. Filling wise we use what we call flow through dacron, also a flow through foam. The foam is a closed cell product that doesn't absorb water and allows it to "flow thru" drying quickly. The dacron is very stiff and firm. Don't know the make up of it but it also allows water to "flow thu".
  When the fabric gets dirty it can be washed, even bleached and no harm to the dyes. After washing it is recommended to respray with 303 to add the water repellency to it. I did by bimini top this past year. Threw it in the washer with a little bleach and soap let it dry sprayed it with 303 and it looks new again. This of course is canvas weight but its the same for cushion weight acrylics.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Polyester cushion inserts are expensive, my last project required them and it did run up.

Don't remember the price.

The filler is the key to what my customer is looking for, but he won't spend the green, his existing outdoor cushions are conventional foam with wrap.  The material was probably pretty good at resisting moisture, I admit, but at this point it is age that got to them. 

The materials made by Phifer do come in rugged weights, they work well stretched on metal frames.  Just did a group of them, installation amounted to securing in the grove with a pinch insert.  Not an easy job, getting all that pinch material installed.  I was dealing with a Phifer heavy version.  It comes at a price but cheap mesh just doesn't work very long.

Working with the mesh, sizing the piece before sewing takes some experience to get the tension just right.  Not like things that can be adjusted after installation.

There are some fairly formal patterns of mesh available. 

That I cut with scissors, heavy though.

Doyle

Mike

Quote from: DB on May 26, 2013, 06:46:39 am

Hard for me to understand anyone leaving furniture exposed to the elements like that.

This request came up recently and didn't commit, just commented that seating in boats should be covered from the elements when not in use.

ive got a patio set that gets wet when the rain gets blown in the side I don't want to be taking covers of n on just to sit town  when I walk past .iv egot some andriondac chairs on my dock I want to make some cushions also and id rather enjoy lookinh at them when not in use rather then covers

baileyuph

Adirondacks, usually made of wood; many are used here and often without cushions.  Outdoor stuff is seasonal, during the season of use, they can draw some business but not during off season.  That work is just additive, Walmart tends to draw sales in that market.  We, domestic people cannot compete with foreign labor because we don't have foreign taxes and cost of living.  What does the future hold, don't know but we can only work smart.

Doyle

bobbin

I would like to correct something about foam.  Reticulated foam is very open cell and water flows right through it. 

CLOSED cell foam is floatation foam and will not absorb any water at all.  It's very dense and very heavy.  And very expensive.  It can be a bear to cut if you don't have a foam saw, and because it's so dense there isn't any "pouf" factor and if the covers are remotely loose the cushion will look crummy.  I redid a series of cockpit cushions a few months ago and to add a layer of comfort to them we glued on a layer of 1" reticulated foam. 

baileyuph

No problem, when I read that I knew what you meant.

You are right about the foam being very hard.

Since we are talking about patio business, I got another order today for about 8 more cushions.  I didn't see the filler, the customer thinks it will be fine for reuse.  Said with fingers crossed, business is pretty good right now.  Is furniture picking up because people can't put it off anymore?  I haven't done much idle chat with the customers lately to pick up what is motivating my customers, maybe in time I can do that.  The customers of late, are not candidates for the Asian stuff, so maybe it is just work that was temporarily delayed until a better time to have done.

Doyle