Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 01:22:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How's It Made?

Started by jojo, June 19, 2013, 08:18:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Here's an ottoman I think I may actually be able to make. But how is the top cushion attached to the base?

MinUph

More than likely its attached like any other attached cushion back. Sewn to the body fabric.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

Pardon
MY ignorance paul but i dont understand that.  If i were to make one  i eould think the lower cushion is a dummy just foam and fabric on the edge of a wooden. BOx and the top cushion perhaps with a hard bottom then sat on the top and screwed secure from inside the foot stool then a underlayment to cover the bottom.

sofadoc

It's kinda hard to explain the step-by-step process. But in a nutshell, here's how I do them:

Make the fitted deck cover first.
Sew it to the underside panel of the cushion.
Install a zipper between the seams of the underside panel. It doesn't have to be fancy, it isn't going to show.
Add boxing.
Add top cushion panel.
Turn everything inside-out through the zipper opening.
Stuff cushion. Zip it up.
Staple the completed unit to the ottoman frame.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JuneC

Marine people, the Formula 400 SS (and probably other Formula models) interior settee cushions are made like that in case you ever get to recover a set.  But, unlike Sofadoc explains, they're made without a zipper. 

Cut top plate for the ottoman and bottom plate of the cushion then cut a big square hole in the center of each leaving about 5 or 6 inches on the sides - like a picture frame.    Construct both cushion pieces as you would if they were not going to be attached.  When they're all done, sew the inside edges of the picture frame together, stuff the top, apply and staple the bottom - same process as Sofadoc uses, minus the zip.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Here's an old one that I just removed:

As you can see, the factory pieced in a synthetic plate on the underneath side. If you have enough fabric, it's quicker and easier to just make a self-plate.

June: I'm trying to picture your way. If you just have 2 square holes on the underneath plates, what keeps the recessed area between the cushion and frame tucked in? 

What do I care?  I'm headed out the door on vacation. Gonna spend a few days on the beach, and swing back through 'The Big Easy' on my way home.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

Have fun sofa dont forget the sunblock and corona

momto3fatdogs

I may be mistaken, but the DVD's that I bought from this webiste (here where the forum is hosted, I mean) showed how to do an ottoman just like that. Done exactly like the 2nd post describes. Always baffled ME until I saw the DVD.

I may be wrong with the DVD though. I have quite a few!

Sam

JuneC

The cushion bottom/ottoman top pieces may be 24" square.  The cutout in the center of these is maybe 16 inches square.  The sewn edges on the interior not only hold the two pieces together, they also keep the inside edges tucked by virtue of the fact that the circumference is not as large as the outer edges.  Maybe one day I'll make a youtube video....

Have a terrific time and try not to get sunburned!

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

Have a great time Dennis. Enjoy and rest up.

Chris

jojo

Thanks guys. And June, yes please regarding that youtube video!
:)

baileyuph

June 21, 2013, 05:48:18 am #11 Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 06:55:48 pm by DB
Not being familiar with Formula seats, can't comment on their technique.  But furniture techniques do require full enclosure of the cushion in order to keep cushion uniform and the border perfectly aligned.  Zippers or a substitute is required.  There is a force factor there to be contended with in installation and the base, if equipped with springs and/or roll edges.  In this case, cushion filler is block foam, I assume.

When effective, a great technique, however, reduces effort.  There may be other ways to deal with the force factor, technology comes up with different ideas , almost routinely.

Doyle

jojo

But wait....there's more! Here's a short video from the website touting the fact that they're made in the USA.

http://vimeo.com/51817885

Looks like Mike was right about the bottom dummy thing.

And here's where they sell it:

http://www.thrivefurniture.com/nixon-ottoman/

I love all of the furniture here.

gene

Their motto is "I am not a crook!" This ottoman comes with a recording device hidden inside.  :)

The attached cushion ottoman is the most complex sewing project in furniture upholstery, I think.

Does anyone have something that they think is more complex? Probably in marine?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

I love one of the user comments, "This rivals anything I've seen at Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel."

I'd be insulted if someone told me that about my work.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison