Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 02:54:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Presser foot adjustment

Started by Stitches, June 16, 2013, 01:53:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Stitches

Hey there on my rex 26-188 I was wondering if there was a certain way or height I should have my presser foot (walking foot) adjusted?  I took it off to check the size and when I was reassembling it I noticed the holes are elongated for adjustment.  It seems as though the needle foot presses pretty hard on the plate below and causes the machine to slightly bind so I have to give it more gas to get started

sofadoc

I wouldn't think that there would be enough range in the enlongated holes to cause a bind. Probably need adjustment(s) in the presser bar/feed dog areas.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Stitches

Ya I was looking into that with the front cover off I just don't know what a good baseline adjustment would be. I can figure out how to adjust just it all. I love tinkering on stuff

Stitches

Quote from: sofadoc on June 16, 2013, 03:51:24 pm
I wouldn't think that there would be enough range in the enlongated holes to cause a bind. Probably need adjustment(s) in the presser bar/feed dog areas.

What's the normal procedure for doing this?  The manual is pretty vague to say the least.  It also doesn't tell me about adjusting the thread take up spring.  Remember I'm very "green" when it comes to machines

sofadoc

Like you, I've tinkered with them before and got it right. But I'm not experienced enough to instruct anyone in text form. Anyway, it's been nearly 30 years since I've even laid eyes on that model.

Only a suggestion: You might rotate the hand wheel to the part where you feel the bind, then loosen the screw that holds the presser bar in place, and raise the presser bar just enough to free the bind, and re-tighten. AND/OR do the same with the feed dog adjustment screw.

But since the presser bar, and the feed dog have to walk in harmony with each other, I would make sure that it is definitely this area that is truly causing the bind before I messed with it.

This guy here is always willing to help as best he can over the phone:
http://www.tolindsewmach.com/

He's talked Mojo down off the ledge a few times. :'(

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I am not familiar with your machine so am not much help. But I can tell you this much..when tinkering be very careful of what you adjust. Adjusting one thing will change the timing. Adjusting another thing will throw off your feed dog/needle feed adjustment. Adjusting another thing can screw something else up and before long you find yourself chasing your tail.

Your best bet is to give Bob Kovar a call. He is my machine man and has helped me out of jams when I screwed up my machines. :) Give him a call and tell him we sent you. he is a very soft spoken and patient man and has forgot more about machines then you and I will ever learn.

Chris

Stitches

Thank you ill definitely give them a call. I haven't touched anything yet for fear of screwing things up. Problem is I have a day job and am a noob upholsterer by night lol so hope I can catch them when I get home

Mojo

Bob is typically in the shop till 5 or so.

Chris

Darren Henry

Bob is a member here;so if you had to you could send him a PM.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!