Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 08:37:19 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Rex 26-188

Started by Stitches, June 11, 2013, 03:11:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Stitches

I've got a rex 26-188 walking foot machine made by nakajima. Does anyone have any experience with these machines?  I still don't understand if its a compound feed, needle feed or what. Is there a good source for a manual that I can actually read and understand?  I'm wanting to learn to do boat upholstery so I figured that I would get an actual walking foot full size machine instead of a portable or a home machine. What is the biggest size thread I can use in it? And are there any good places for parts for this machine?  Thanks.    Please help

sofadoc

This manual should work for the Rex:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxc7URxlLGQ1aGhWaUttaW8yVEE/edit

The Rex 26-188 is nearly identical to the old Singer 16-188. It is a top/bottom feed walking foot machine (not compound feed).

I think you can use as big as #207 thread. But if not, #138 for sure. It's rated for up to a 23 gauge needle.

Parts for the Nakajima TDU-N62 should be the same. Any industrial sewing machine repair shop that stocks parts for 16-188's should be able to help you.

This model is a 'tweener' for boat seats. Better than a portable......not as good as a compound feed walking foot machine.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Stitches

Thanks.   What is a compound feed?

sofadoc

June 11, 2013, 07:08:23 pm #3 Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:14:12 pm by sofadoc
Quote from: Stitches on June 11, 2013, 05:57:26 pm
Thanks.   What is a compound feed?
Watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Gt0ydA1Zo

As you'll see, the needle "walks" in the same motion with the front foot. The rear foot goes up/down.
The front foot goes up/forward/down/back.

With a non-compound feed, the needle doesn't walk. It just goes up/down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuSD45vGfNM

Stitches

Wow the compound machine definitely seems to work better and walk the material a lot smoother. Thank you for taking the time to educate me.  Usually I google or youtube everything.  My rex is the first sewing machine I have ever touched,  and will be learning on it. Slowing it down has been the first challenge for me I ended up putting some foam scraps under the pedal to stiffen it up a bit which has helped.  Lastly...what is a fair price to pay to give the machine a tune up?  I called a repairman here in the delta area and he quoted me $129 for a service before parts. Seems a bit steep no

sofadoc

Quote from: Stitches on June 11, 2013, 07:36:40 pm
Lastly...what is a fair price to pay to give the machine a tune up?  I called a repairman here in the delta area and he quoted me $129 for a service before parts. Seems a bit steep
I'm sure the price varies by region.
I had a guy who charged me $125 for an in-shop service call.....he drove 80 miles (one way).

The shop that I currently use charges $65 for timing, and other basic adjustments. They even did it on a Saturday morning while I waited.

I know what you mean, though. If the machine needed a few parts, you could easily be talking about $250-$300 or more. At that point, you have to weigh the options of paying that much to fix an old machine, or put a little money with it, and get a rebuilt one.

Another trick to slow it down a bit, is to loosen the belt until it almost slips.

Stitches

Ah I will try that with the belt. Those machines in the videos must have servos.  I may also get a smaller pulley and belt to be able to slow it down a wee bit from turbo mode. Smallest I can find around here is a 2" pulley. original is a 3 1/2". Any thoughts on that?

sofadoc

A 2" OD pulley ought to do the trick.