Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 02:55:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cutting Sunbrella for cushions

Started by cthomps, June 10, 2013, 08:45:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

Hello,

Quick question.  Is it necessary to heat cut, or edge finish, Sunbrella for patio cushions?

Thanks.

Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

Grebo

June 10, 2013, 09:50:31 am #1 Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:53:17 am by Grebo
Is it standard sunbrella or sunbrella cushion weight ?
The light stuff frays like  >:( *uggery. So I tend to overlock (serge) it.

The standard stuff does still fray, but no where near as bad. Just depends if the covers are coming off a lot for washing, if so yes finish the edge somehow. Probably not with a hot knife as it can leave a sharp / hard edge.

Suzi

cthomps

Thanks for the help.  I will surge it then.  12 cushions for a client.  Yippy!

jojo

While we're on the subject of Sunbrella cushions, is there anythiing wrong with using the marine weight for an outdoor cushion? All I've ever used it for is boat covers, so not sure if would be comfortable enough to sit on

Mojo

JoJo:

I have enough acrylic scraps ( Sattler/Recacril ) to make cushions for the entire county. I tried making cushions once from the marine/awning grade stuff and the " hand" ( finish ) is just to stiff. The other problem you get with awning/marine acrylic versus cushion acrylic is that the awning fabric will craze. Crazing is when it creases and leaves behind white crease lines.

My ocd is so bad that I am extra careful when I am working with acrylic making toppers. I handle it carefully so I do not put crease lines in them. I want a pristine product delivered to my customers.
MiamiMike and I have spent alot of time discussing this over the phone because I was concerned over the hand some fabrics have. Turns out that some colors in marine fabric will have a stiffer hand then others. I thought I was going nuts till he explained the process tom me and why this happens.
I take his word as gospel though as he truly is an expert in these matters. he has toured the plants extensively all over the world and understands this stuff better then I ever will.

Unfortunately the awning/marine fabric has a stiffer hand ( and crease effects ) that does not lend itself well to making cushions. The first time someone sits their fat bvutt down on a cushion and gets up they will leave behind a maze of creases.

The furniture grade acrylic is manufactured the same way but has a different finish which gives it a nice soft hand made for sitting on. Hope this helps.

Chris

Mojo

Forgot to mention in case you have alot of canvas scraps.

I am saving all my large acrylic and vinyl scraps. When I get some free time I am going to have Miami donate some scarp foam and I am going to make some dog cushions for the local Humane Society to use as dog beds in the kennels.

Call me nuts but I am a HUGE animal lover and ASCPA/humane society supporter. I LOVE animals, especially dogs. I donate left over medical supplies I have from my chemo treatments ( alcohol pads, syringes, etc. ) , blankets and other stuff to them. Smaller scraps I donate to the art classes at my wifes local high school.

This fall I am sponsoring ( along with Miami and Sattler ) an art contest. The winner will get gift certificates to dinner or movies. The contest will center around making art pieces from left over upholstery supplies ( fabric, foam, scrim, etc. ). :)

So if you have leftover scraps, your local school/art class would probably love them. Just a suggestion.

Chris

Mike

Must have been 4 years ago now i was contacted.mmy local  humane sociaty
They wanted screen shaxes made cor there dog runs.
I didnt do it free. But did cut them a break.

Grebo

I use the marine weight quite a lot for cockpit cushions, once it's had it's first ''cool'' wash in a machine, that beats the life out of it, it's much softer  :) . The furniture grade ( as mojo already said) is made for the job & has a nice finish to start off with plus it keeps it's colour really well.

Suzi

Mojo

Suzi:

That is interesting. Never heard of machine washing acrylic awning material. Now I need to go try that. :)

Chris

Mike

I had some cadet grey once that seem to show the crease lines the most I think that and aquamarine anyway a guy didn't pay so I got a brand new big cover , I ended up cutting it up and using it for a smaller set of canvas but sirst I washed it like suzi  and the line were gone

MinUph

We just did a V berth for a guy and the supplier sent the wrong acrylic. It was the heavy stuff. It got the creases in it and he didnt like it so we had to do it over with the cushion weight acrylic. Good to know washing the heavyweight takes the problem away.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Eric

I use furniture grade and hotknife edges.
Eric

scott_san_diego

I made some outdoor cushions for my house using the marine grade canvas and was pleased with the way they came out and wear. The first couple of times you use them they might show  a crease but go away with time.  We have a dog that likes to sleep on the outdoor couch as opposed to her dog bed. 
When the cushions get dirty or to much dog hair all I do is hose them off.

Rich

QuoteSo if you have leftover scraps, your local school/art class would probably love them. Just a suggestion.

I never thought of that, great idea Chris, I'll call the local schools and ask them.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

cthomps

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. 

I have been donating fabric, spools, trims to a local pre-school for many years.  The spools become all kinds of wonderful things.  Stamps, wheels, counting, etc.  Now if we could just come up with some uses for the old upholstery we would really have something.  I hate it all going into the landfill.