Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 12:24:52 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New Machine On the Horizon ??

Started by Mojo, June 03, 2013, 04:56:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

That's it. This Juki 563 is history. I will not own a Suzi Homemaker / dress making machine. :)

And people wonder why I say " Never buy an industrial machine off e-bay ".....:)

I can see it now. Some young woman new to sewing buys this machine to make a dress. Gets it all set up, sticks some nice light fine shear material into it, stomps on the pedal and it wads the material up and spits it out the other end in 0.5 seconds. She jumps up and runs down  the hall thinking a monster just entered the room and is living inside her new sewing machine.

LOL.......:)

Chris

sofadoc

OK, here's a news flash.........for once, I'm actually going to steer a topic BACK ON COURSE!!!

Getting back to stitch length on the newer models vrs. the older ones. My Juki Lu 1508 has an advertised max stitch length of 10 MM. Here is a pic of stitches sewn through a single layer of vinyl at the max setting:

It looks to be exactly 3 SPI. However, each stitch measures about 8.2 MM. A lot of factors affect that reading (mainly the fact that I paid a whopping 5 bucks for the digital caliper).

The older model machines (such as the 563) claimed a 7.5 MM stitch length, which appears to be just a little over 4 SPI.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Alsworld

Sofadoc, you don't want to know how bad I want to hear the difference between a Juki 1508 and 1541 as I am planning a 1541 in my future, but will keep this one on topic  ;).

Chris,

for what it's worth, the Navy (and USMC  :) ) have bought many many Consew 206's over the years as it's standard middle/heavy weight sewing machines for us survival equipment bubba's.  Of course we received the typical setup, 1/2 hp clutch and they sewed fast!  We always had to learn the clutch and teach ourselves to feather it.  You have much more experience than I, and by keeping the servo I am sure you will be pleased.  The last year of my service (2009) before I retired we were able to get 17 brand new Consew 206-RB5's for the school house and transferred the aging machines to the "C" school (where students learn complete breakdown, repair, re-timing, etc.).  Most of my early "professional" sewing was on the Consew 206 series machines and no doubt they perform quite well.

As you stated, we all get comfortable sewing with what we know.  My initial job once out of the Navy I learned sewing on a Juki 1541 and LOVED it, but... that was what was applicable to what I was sewing.  Not trying to change your mind, but it suits my flavor to what I want in my future.  I have no servo motor experience but will (and will ask opinions here when I get serious about ordering my new machine), but I have the highest esteem for the Consew 206 machines. I hope they are still made in Japan???  Good luck with your decision and machine!

Now if sofadoc could just explain the differences between the ....  :-X

Alan

sofadoc

Quote from: Alsworld on June 05, 2013, 05:55:40 pm
Sofadoc, you don't want to know how bad I want to hear the difference between a Juki 1508 and 1541 as I am planning a 1541 in my future, but will keep this one on topic
I currently sew on a 1508. My only experience sewing on a 1541, is on a showroom floor. If I came to work tomorrow, and found it (1508) was stolen, I'd probably replace it with a 1541. The only difference I see, is that the 1508 is top load.......the 1541 is bottom load. But since the 1541 is $500 cheaper, and I really don't care where the bobbin is, I'd opt to save money on the 1541. Two of the very finest machines on the market IMO.

It may be just a matter of personal "feel", but I've always found Jukis to be a little more versatile when going from lightweight to heavyweight fabrics. Other brands do an excellent job with medium-to-heavy fabrics, but are a little too harsh with light-to-medium. Again, probably just a matter of personal comfort.

Mojo

Allan:

If the USMC used 206's then you know they have to be good. :) Actually we got a lot of hand me downs from you sailors. :) My buddy sewed seats for Harrier jets in the Corps but have no idea what kind of machine he used. This would have been back in the 70's.

Almost all machines are made in China now, including the Juki, Adler, Pfaff, Highlead, Consew, etc. etc.. From what I have learned so far from my own research the Seiko is the only machine made in Japan. ( There maybe another but I haven't found one yet ).

I love the Adlers and Pfaffs but dang not only are they expensive but parts and attachments are out of this world. I have several hundred dollars worth of feet and attachments for my Chandler which also fits the Juki and will also fit a Consew 206. Whatever I buy will have to be able to use what I have as I am not going to turn around and re-invest in all new folders, feet and other attachments.

I am to the point now that I believe I am going to hold on to the Juki. I have so little money into it that it would be stupid for me to get rid of it. But I do want a new machine and will save the Juki and make that my wifes machine. She prefers top loaders and likes the Juki.

In regards to Servo's, when your ready let me know and I will put you in touch with Bob Kovar our resident machine guy. Several of us have bought servos from him. I can tell you servo's are the Cats Meow. They allow you to have amazing control and there is no turning on and off the motor in between stitching. They are whisper quiet and much more energy efficient. They only run when you press the pedal.

But then just like the top/bottom load discussion there are those who love clutch motors and would never change. This all gets back to what you cut your teeth on and what you have been sewing on for years. I started out with servo's and bottom load machines which is why I am partial to both. I tried a clutch motor once ( it came on my Juki ) and called Bob and had a servo sent to me real fast before I hurt myself. LOL.... I could not get the hang of the clutch motor and have no time ( or patience ) to master it. :)

Chris

baileyuph

Dennis,

That is a neat measuring device, is it made in China?  Grin.

Just a thought, is thread tension a factor when manufacturers spec out their stitch length capability?  If so, that is a variable.

A simple test is to run a "with" and "without" test on a same material fed the same way.

Another test would be to run a "with" but very loose and a "with" but rather tighter tension.  On tension test, it matters what the material is also.

Yes, few years ago, a Consew vs Juki discussion by an experienced machine mechanic/dealer, he said the Juki (back then) was made a little stronger than the Consew below the bed of the machine and that was why it cost a few bucks more.  I don't know if he was relating to a top or bottom loader, but I believe he was describing a top loader. 

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on June 06, 2013, 05:42:25 am
Just a thought, is thread tension a factor when manufacturers spec out their stitch length capability?  If so, that is a variable.

A simple test is to run a "with" and "without" test on a same material fed the same way.

Another test would be to run a "with" but very loose and a "with" but rather tighter tension.  On tension test, it matters what the material is also.
I did the sample seam in the pic with light tension, and only 1 layer of vinyl in an attempt to achieve the maximum stitch length possible with the machine.

Quote from: Mojo on June 06, 2013, 05:27:46 am
Almost all machines are made in China now, including the Juki, Adler, Pfaff, Highlead, Consew, etc. etc.. From what I have learned so far from my own research the Seiko is the only machine made in Japan. ( There maybe another but I haven't found one yet ).
They may be old stock, but several dealers still advertise the Juki 1541 made in Japan for sale:
http://www.sunnysewingmachine.com/index.php/view-all-machines/18-walking-foot-sewing-machines/434-juki-dnu-1541s-walking-foot-upholstery-sewing-machine-with-safety-clutch

Mojo

Dennis:

Talked with Bob today ( I like to call him once a a week and rattle the old mans cage ). He indicated that the last Seiko he got actually came in from China. He believes like I do that some parts may be made in Japan and it is assembled or finished off in China and the same probably holds true for Juki.

He has been trying to sign in here to the forum but there is a problem with his login. He is supposed to contact Ken and get it straightened out. So he hasn't been ignoring us just been locked out of the forum.

My boss made the decision that SHE is keeping the Juki because she prefers top loaders but I am free to buy whatever I want. So I guess the issue with trading or selling the 563 is taken care of. ( I love working for my wife ). Still do not know what I am going to do in regards to a new machine. Maybe nothing now.  :)

Either way the 563 and Chandler are going to Bob next month for a long overdue tune-up while we are up near him visiting the grandkids.

Chris

Chris

sofadoc

Chris: As usual, the lovely Mrs. Mojo is probably right. Anyway, since the Consew 206 is basically the same machine as your Chandler, I think you'd have more fun with somethng different like a long arm, or post bed, or whatever specialty need you might have.

Darren Henry

QuoteThe consew 225 does max of 3 per inch.  BTW, being a 225 it is without reverse.  If one wanted that machine with reverse, it was sold as a 226.

Just to expand on that---the 225 is a 111W155 singer with a consew paint job.It's what I cut me teeth on when I started upholstery after I got starved out of hand making shoes. I own a 111 and my current boss has a 111 and a 226.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

baileyuph

Yep, to what Darren said about the 111W155.  The 225 is that rebadged.

Then, I suspect or think I remember the 111W156 Singer was the reverse equipped model.

When I buy parts for the 225, Seiko is the objective. 

Chris, you are fortunate to have such a boss!

Doyle

Alsworld

Sofadoc,

thank you so much for the info concerning the Juki 1541 vs. 1508.  That was what I was hoping to hear.  I try to project future needs as well as what I know and feel (for me) what is best to spend that much cash on a new machine, I hope to do it right.  For my needs, the Juki 1541 fits the bill.  I was concerned the 1508 may be too heavy, and the cost difference had me questioning what the differences might be.  I really appreciate your reply.

Chris, thanks for the info on Bob Kovar.  When I get there I will ask about servos for sure.  You Ladies and Gentlemen are the professionals who use and rely on machines and the service people who do this profession best, and for newbies like me, I listen.  I only know clutch motors but am far from hung up on them.  I have just never experienced sewing with a servo but sure want to learn it.  My sewing is slow not fast so I can appreciate the versatility, not to mention energy efficiency!  I would much rather spend my money toward someone who has served you all so well than take a gamble on the internet unknown to save a buck.  Sure hope I don't sound like a Juki salesman, it's just the right tool for the right job concerning my particular needs.  I guess I have always only sewed on bottom loading machines and that works fine for me too.

Doyle, I am sadden so much has gone to China.  My current day time job they have asked me (pressured me) twice to go to China and teach them what I build so that it could be built there.  Both time I refused.  Not just for my own job security (which I would be giving away), but as retired military coming home, jobs are tough enough.  I felt that all I would be contributing to was more of the American job market decline.  Fire me if they wished but I am still employed and they really like my work ethic and what I have accomplished.  I just could not do it, and I am quite proud of sticking to my guns.  It will be sad to purchase a Juki made in China, but it's something I guess I will have to accept.  Can't win all the battles. 

Alan