Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:36:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How much to charge

Started by sharethewealth, June 03, 2013, 09:16:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sharethewealth

Hi Guys, First I'd like to say it's great to be a member and I am looking forward to all the great ideas people have on here.

For me to get started I'd like to say I have done my own upholstery over 12 years ago for my own boat and will be redoing it again in the next couple months, and recently just restitched a set of boat seats for a friend of mine. But since doing that for him I have 2 other people wanting upholstery done on their boats and I have no clue what I should charge for the jobs. One is a 25 foot pontoon and the other is a 21ft Mariah open bow, which needs the wood and everything redone the back seat and the engine lids rebuilt and redone and I will have to make complete new patterns for this part as there is nothing to go by.

I would appreciate if anybody can give me some guidance on this.

Thanks,
Tim

MinUph

Welcome aboard Tim,
  This question comes up quite often and it always gets the same replies. No one can tell you what to charge. Figure out what materials you will need add a markup to them, then you need to figure what it costs you to produce work (labor). This will be different for everyone and different in areas around the country.
  Add everything you have for overhead together, shop, lights, gas, truck, machines etc.etc. and add a little for yourself. Divide this by an hourly setting and then you will have an hourly amount to use.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Besides. Even if we DID help you come up with a price, it'll probably be about TEN times as much as your "buddies" had expected. :D

Many stitchers got their start in this trade by doing stuff for their friends. Some turned pro. Others continued to do it as a hobby. The ones that turned pro did so by drastically reducing the number of "friends" they have. ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Friends expect it for less than they would pay a formal shop, usually.

Doyle

cthomps

When I started crossing the line from alterations to boat and canvas work I  had your same issue.  However the question  really was more like "how long would this take you folks that know what your doing"?  I know I spend more time learning, than doing.  I don't feel it is right to charge folks for the time I take to look things up to try and figure out how to do it properly and professionally.  In the Marine Fabricator Journal, there is a 8 or so page time standard chart.  It has helped me a great deal by providing an idea of how long a project should take.

As far as working for friends.  I feel you gotta start somewhere.  If they are willing to let you practice on their boats, and are aware of your skills I see nothing wrong with giving them a mate rate.  I just completed my first pontoon.  I did not up-charge the fabric, but charged my normal hourly rate.  I also bought a little extra fabric at my expense, in case of an error.  Now I have extra fabric:(  Anyway,  I live in a town of 15,000 people in Western Wisconsin.  My hourly rate is $25.00.  I work from home with very low overhead.  I am only providing for me, and the cost of living here is quite low.  I wish I could get the $75.00 shop fee that some folks get, but it just wont happen here.  Hell, I still hem jeans for 8.00.  Hope this helps.  Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

baileyuph

Carol,
You are doing things right, hope you enjoy the work. 

Doyle

cthomps

Thanks Doyel.  I really enjoy the work!  It is wonderful to have a break from party dresses and learn something new.  I cant make a living unless I do a wide variety of sewing.  I also do freelance soft good design and production.  And I have a hunting product in 17 states.  tagbagstore.com 

I dont want to steel this thread however.   Good luck Tim.  If you have any more questions feel free to email a newbie, with about 2 years of canvas, boat and upholstery experience and 40 years worth of party dress experience! I will help if I can.

Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."