Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:21:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

chevy truck seat

Started by chrisberry12, May 14, 2013, 06:25:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisberry12

I have a 10 year old Chevy truck that I would like to replace the entire seat, or if I have to buy a ready made replacement cover. Anyone know where I can find these items. I do not do automotive and there is no one on the island that does them either. I just want to help this fella out without much hassle or cost. I am thinking 3-500 bucks for replacement. Comments Please

Thanks,
Chris

baileyuph

Help us out, what type of cover or whatever are you thinking about and is this a bench or a pair of buckets or?

Price will likely depend on the type of cover and of course quality.  The throws with elastic holding them on are probably the low end and it goes up from there.

You understand that better than me, I am sure.

It could be an interesting search.

Doyle 

chrisberry12

it is a 2000 Ford 350 Super duty truck. The seat foam is shot, that is why I want to replace the entire seat (chair). If I replace the cover, I would remove the old upholstery and hopefully find a replacement cover already sewn up. If I have too, I will order new vinyl and do it myself. I just wanted a quicker fix. I am a furniture upholsterer. Cars and trucks are another animal all together and I have no interest in learning that side of the trade. I will continue searching the web, I was just hoping someone here could give me some places to check out.

baileyuph

Replacement cover?  Ford dealer, salvage yards, internet search for used parts, etc.
I order original replacement covers from their parts department, just like any Ford part.

Same for the foam.  Let the truck owner do the foot work, if it isn't yours.

I get, what sounds similar, we can usually come up with a solution.

Helps to inspect the seat first, any local business people around who have considerable experience in all this? Their input could be very good information.  Go to the expert.

Doyle

chrisberry12

I wish there was a local expert but I am on the island and the owner has no time. He is paying me to do all the leg work. I will continue to search the web and check sources back in my hometown. Or I will reupholster the seat myself. There is never an easy solution. Thank you for the info, I will let you know how it all works out.

tudorford

I am from a small farm and ranch type community and these older Super Duty Trucks with the 7.3L diesel engines are like gold around here and people pay me big bucks to repair these seats all the time. 

Usually if the foam is in bad shape there will probably be some spring work to be done as well.  I believe most of those seats have a grid of wires hung on the back by coil springs and ancored in the front.  I usually have a few old sets around that I can repair the old one but I know some of the automotive upholstery supply houses carry these springs and wire sets.  once the foundation is fixed I cut the bad foam out and glue new in leaving it a little big and shaving it down with an air disc sander. once shaped I go over the whole bolster with 1/4 inch cloth back sew foam to tie it al together and smooth it out.  after that it is just a mater of replacing the bad panels in the cover.  If it is over 10 years old you will probably not be able to get oem cloth for it.  I usually inform the customer of this and find the closest substitute I can find.  if it is leather I usually replace the bad with matching vinyl.  I can usually do one of these repairs in 2 to 3 hours.  If you are not familer with the job it will probably take longer but it's not hard to do if you take your time.
Always remember:  Where ever you go,  there you are.