Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:40:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sea Doo How-To?

Started by jojo, May 28, 2013, 01:23:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

May 28, 2013, 01:23:45 pm Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:24:34 pm by jojo
Anyone ever do one of these? It's from a Seadoo something or other.
Three seats, two seams. Will the vinyl go around all the curves, or will I need to seam it in areas other than where it's originally seamed?
Thanks!

Mike

May 28, 2013, 01:31:13 pm #1 Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:33:59 pm by Mike
well it would be easier to add seams.
ive never used it but all sport I hear stretches well.

I did a 4 wheeler seat recently where I would have add a couple seams but with some heat a stretching managed  to make it look original

jsquail

just used some all sport on a job. Got it from Rochford supply it was resaonably priced. its a 4 way stretch vinyl and it wroked great. I would recommend it for that job.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Mike

Custios as i said i never used it why would t you on this jsqual?

Mojo

Two words JoJo.......All Sport........

It is expensive but was developed for jet skis and snowmobile seats. It has a 4-way bias and will handle the curves well.

I have sewn with it before and it is great stuff. MiamiMike carries this I believe. I think I seen it on their website anyways.

You will love the way it pulls on corners.

Chris

scarab29

its all sport or nothing!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Darren Henry

Amen, and yes it is available in yellow and white.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

jojo

Aw crap. I already have the vinyl, and it is not Allsport. So I guess I will be pattern-making. :(

Peppy

I've done lots of these. You don't NEED all sport but it sure helps. You will need heat or steam though, if you dont have very stretchy stuff. You don't need those seams either, I think they were to save material in the factory. It'll be slow going on your first one. Lotta temper tacks.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike

May 30, 2013, 05:28:48 am #9 Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 05:29:32 am by Mike
I wiuldng have that center seam either real easy to not be straight.
And it has to be.

JDUpholstery

I have done worse curves than that with standard marine vinyl, plenty of heat and a lot of tugging...like this golf cart seat

it can be done without doing additional patterning, but do what ever is easiest for you, and will keep the customer happy!

fragged8

did you use any glue on the face of the foam JD ? to hold the vinyl in the depression ?

Richard

bobslost

I just did my second one I learned a lot from the first . You will have to do some patterning
I added seams to the outer ends and had to add about 4 inches to each side of the center seams
The hardest part is keeping the seams straight . I used a marine vinyl with a high loft backing .
I had to use a little heat to help with some of the curves .Remember to put plastic on the foam first , it makes pulling the part easier and it keeps the foam drier.

jojo

Thanks guys. I ended up not seaming it, and it turned out pretty good, except for the back corners aren't pretty from the back. But since that will never be seen once it's installed on the boat I'm not worried about it. The curves weren't the hard part; the corners were much harder to deal with. Lots of excess material. I have no idea how they did it originally.

Anyway, I had to drill out the rivets to get the seat inserts out, but am having trouble getting them back in
I must've made the holes a little bigger than they originally were when drilling.
Tried to rivet them back in with a plastic rivet set I had, but they won't hold.
Do I have to use t-nuts?

Peppy

Drill new holes? I've also stapled Velcro to both sides instead.
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering