Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:09:38 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Coil Springs

Started by SteveA, May 26, 2013, 12:35:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

Good Holiday to All !
Please help with a question.  If I wanted to make coil springs slightly stiffer in a side chair where the top fabric was being replaced but the webbing was good, + tight,  and the foam cushioning was good - can you comment on a technique or old trick up your sleeve.

Thanks,
SA

MinUph

You can stuff the coils with foam. It will be a bit firmer.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

west coast

exactly what I was going to say

SteveA

Thanks for the reply + advice.
Are you saying to take foam - whatever extra pieces are laying around and stuff the center of each spring or slide foam in between the coils where they scissor together ?

SA

gene

Quotecan you comment on a technique or old trick up your sleeve.

You could use an old sleeve.

Regarding foam, I would slide the foam between the coils where they scissor together.

If the chair is going to be getting a lot of use and the springs are well worn, I would prefer to replace the springs with new ones.

Best of luck.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Replacement is always the best option but if cost is a factor use the foam. Push solid chunks into the coil from the top allowing the foam to stick out the coils. Don't put it in from the sides as it will just work itself out and fall to the bottom.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

Thanks MinUph + All

It is a budget job and the decking is in great shape - springs tied nicely + webbing tight so no sense in me messing with it.  The foam will be OK for this job - it's an occasionally used chair belonging to a senior.  Someone over 80 so don't think your a senior too MinUph - but liking your suggestions for a old timer :)

Thanks,
SA

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

Wish I had the room for one of those machines