Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:46:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Installing Windshield Clips

Started by jojo, May 21, 2013, 04:35:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Soo...how do you do it? Do you hook the bottom first then the top? I tried both ways, and can't get it to snap on. Is it just a matter of brute force?
Thanks guys.

Mike

May 21, 2013, 06:22:53 pm #1 Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:25:48 pm by Mike
what I do is hook the bottom on the window by the rubber then I use a small screwdriver with a fat handle I like the interchangeable kind has a beefy handle  stick it in the round stud hand with a pop of my palm (brute force part)  it snaps on easy

but I havnt had a call for many in my 9 year in florida any cockpit copvers always fit over tgew glass and I never to small boat convertible top and windows  it always just a bimini and covewr and big boat like sundancer already have the clips  or the newer studs in thre groove

Peppy

You have to weasel the bottom under the rubber and then pop the top in like mike says. A small flat head helps get it started if the rubber is really tight. I made a thread with a couple other tricks here- http://www.upholster.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=9063.0
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

jojo

Thanks guys, that did the trick (the brute force thing). Peppy, I wish I could fashion my own tools like you do!

Darren Henry

QuoteI wish I could fashion my own tools like you do!

It has been said that "Necessity is a muther". I remember when I started out in the shoe repair biz being jealous of this special tool one of the other outlet managers had for applying contact cement into places too small for our glue brush. [Picture a putty knife with a blade three inches long X 1/2" wide on leather handle]. After an extensive,pre- internet, search I asked him where he got it. It was an old shank from a lady's shoe flattened out with a handle build on it.

I now make and modify alot of my stuff.

I think we had thread about this a few years ago. If it was after the big crash of '0-?--- it may still be in the archives. I now I posted a few pics---My heat cutter is a $20 soldering iron/ my cushion stuffer is home built on a mechanic's stool frame ($15 vs. $185) etc...

Just watch two episodes of "McGiver" --- and go nuts LOL!
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!