Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 01:43:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Patterning Aft Curtains

Started by jojo, May 01, 2013, 06:03:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

So normally, I'd pattern the whole enclosure from the naked frame, but how would one go about patterning the aft and side curtains on an existing bimini? If this is a stupid question, I apologize.
There are zippers on the bimini, as if the curtains existed at one time, but the owner (who just bought the boat) can't find them.

regalman190

If it's not a huge aft curtain, this is how I would tackle this.

Add the other zipper half to the existing half. Pin your pattern material to the zipper half that would be sewn to the aft or side curtain. Attach the lower portion to the snaps and mark all your matching edges.
Regal Canvas

JuneC

I do patterns like Regal - put the full zipper on the top and using plastic template material, staple to the zipper.  I cut slits below the zipper about 2 inches long every 10 inches or so.  Using the slit to stick in the lower portion of my plier stapler, staple the plastic to the zipper tape.  Use snap tape (home made sockets on a length of double-fold binding), snap the plastic to the lower snaps on the deck/windshield.  Mark up as you see fit, then simply unzip/unsnap the template and have at it.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jojo

Thank you guys! This is really helpful!

Mike

for years I only patterned with the  finnish material.  so on a canvas aft curtain id sew the zipp;ers on to the tcenter of the tp[ then xip it on pin it to the snaps at the transom and mark the curved sides of the top mark and trim the curtain to window joint . now usint plastin ill clMP AND TAPE IT IN PLACE AS Is and pattern from the zipper to the snaps m no biggie

Peppy

I sew a piece of window material to the curtain zipper. This gives me a platform to tape the pattern to. Then I trace the teeth and mark the marks.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Grebo

Quote from: JuneC on May 01, 2013, 06:40:10 pm
I do patterns like Regal - put the full zipper on the top and using plastic template material, staple to the zipper.  I cut slits below the zipper about 2 inches long every 10 inches or so.  Using the slit to stick in the lower portion of my plier stapler, staple the plastic to the zipper tape.  Use snap tape (home made sockets on a length of double-fold binding), snap the plastic to the lower snaps on the deck/windshield.  Mark up as you see fit, then simply unzip/unsnap the template and have at it.

June

Yep same here.
But I don't usually mark the snaps, just make the pattern long enough to cover them then pop them in at the boat.

Suzi

jsquail

adding the other half of the zipper i use clear plastic and attach the plastic to the zipper using 1/2 inch transfer tape. Then i use my snap straps to hold the plastic to the snaps. Get out the sharpies and start marking up the pattern.

The transfer tape will hold very good as long as you are pulling the plastic across the plane of the zipper tape.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas