Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:09:29 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Always With the Questions

Started by jojo, April 24, 2013, 06:39:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi guys,
So now it's this captains chair:

http://s6.postimg.org/wdnf9u4ch/capt.jpg

This is the old cover. I've stripped it and have it finished except for the hole. I sewed a strip of vinyl and welt around the hole, but when I go to pull it tight and staple it, I have a lot of excess fabric inside the hole.
How can I avoid this? Am I supposed to be stretching that strip of vinyl as I sew? It's disheartening, because the rest of the chair looks great.

scarab29

Did a pontoon chair like that a couple years ago. PITA . Had a flap that zipped together in the hole. Can't remember any trick sorry.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike

I remember doing one with a zipper scarab.

Jojo. Is it just stapled with hydem. Show us the wrinkles i dont see why they couldnt be pulled out.   Got tom e tuff to staple inside the hole.ooks tight for my gun.   
On the old skin pic i the dark blue stripe dont line up eith the seat do to the curved back. Id nake them wider to mate up.

jojo

Mike, It's being totally redesigned...all white with orange piping, so the only thing i have to line up is the "Y".
So the front of the hole is welt sewn to a 2" flap. It's then pulled and stapled at the back edge, where it's covered with hidem.
But there's just too much fabric on my flap. In the curves you can see all the excess. It's not really wrinkles, its just too much fabric. I just took the cover off to take another stab at it, otherwise I'd post pics.
I can't even picture this zipper that you and scarab speak of. Sound more complicated than it has to be.

MinUph

jojo,
  Did you check the original pattern to see if any relief was cut out on the corners?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Peppy

We had to put a hole for a seatbelt in a pad we upholster for a roller coaster. Took a while to get them to look good.

You need to shape your border piece. It can't be a rectangle. Where it sews to the inside back it needs to be a curved line. This makes the border become more of a cone than a tube. Then you can pull against the cone to get it tight.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Peppy

Pictures worth 1000 words. Exaggerated for effect-

http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

jojo

Mike

Well i hope you eork it out.  Littlest thing can Be a pain.
Like me im sitting here waysting time waiting on a drlevery bebore i can leave the shop