Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 01:26:16 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

customer irk me

Started by Mike, February 21, 2013, 06:39:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

so Friday I removed a motorcover sunpad deck to repait the upholstery  the guy ansjed when id be dnt I said mid week  ans Monday I patterned a t top window enclosure  ad the owner asked when id be done I saidin day or two "wll call the day bofore your done .so yesterday  I have the upholstery dione and go instsll it at the private marina its in ,  I find the owners in Minneapolis.  won be back till sunday I get in a text I said call me tomorrow I can take credit payment. no call today.  and today I finished the t op windows so I take a shot the guy is not out fishing and go install I called his cell to say its on no awmser voicemail still no call back tonight, could have said he was not going to be around,   but I suppose they would think id put them off .I would have worked on something I could get a check on now if I knew they were bolth gone.

timtheboatguy

Some people just don't get it. I have had this kind of crap happen too and it's usually the guys that appear to have lots of money that do these stunts. I've always wanted to have some line on my invoices like; IN ORDER TO AVOID A RELENTLESS BEATING, PLEASE BE PREPARED TO PAY FULL AMOUNT ON COMPLETION OF WORK! and of course THANK YOU! ;D
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

Tim the dirst guy he bought s used boat at a used lot and. Hoose to try and  save he opted to try to repair sagging headliner and only replace a portion of the rear deack a d he has a house in the best most expensive gated neighborhood in the county.   The second.  Is in a mobile home park.

west coast

I`ve always said this would be a great job if it wasn`t for the customers

regalman190

I have a statement on my quotes and invoices that states I own the canvas until paid for in full and I have the right to remove if not paid for.
But, there's always a few that push it to the limit.
Regal Canvas

Mike

Ive thoughsbout it at tines to take it back off thill theybget back. But thsts just more work for me ill have to install it again.  But if i leave it on and they get home they have slot of time to find something to bitch about.  Yes im not perfect you can aleays find somthing if you want to.

ajlelectronics

Quote from: regalman190 on February 22, 2013, 12:11:38 pm
I have a statement on my quotes and invoices that states I own the canvas until paid for in full and I have the right to remove if not paid for.
But, there's always a few that push it to the limit.

That's a great idea and many UK businesses do the same. However, try retrieving the goods from a domestic customer and you find there is a problem here. You are not allowed to take it back without a court order, regardless of the terms and conditions. My brother managed to do it after he installed an audio system for a non payer. He went in when only the wife was there and told her it needed a software upgrade, so she let him take it away!

Maybe it's easier if the goods are unattended out in the fresh air like many of your jobs. Can you not risk being done for burglary or theft though in the USA?

JuneC

In the US you can't legally retrieve goods that are unpaid for without a "Writ of Replevin" which is basically a court ordered release permitting reposession.  And I believe it's required that a law enforcement officer accompany you.   The trick is, I think, to not deliver the goods without payment in full at the time of delivery.  Once you've left the site, you can't go back into the home/car/boat to retrieve the goods.  I typically hand over the bill while I'm doing the install.  No cash or check???  Then I'll take my stuff and "call me when you get the money". 

I think the grey area here is if the customer, by signing a statement permitting you to enter their property and retrieve the goods, gives away his right to fight you in court.  Now that, I don't know.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

zanepurcell

In practice, no one is going to sue you in court because you retrieved the unpaid for item. And if they did, you can counter-sue and get your money and its easier that way. In georgia, we have what is called "self assist re-possession" and in a past life when I was a jeweler, I used it frequently.  I would always stop by the magistrate's office the day before and tell him I was going to do it and when I did, they generally got the police and I stonewalled them and I got paid.

Zane

Mike

I had it too good in new Hampshire my shop was on the waterfront, I was a destination for the day cruise down to my shop get a quote and then go have lunch or get a price before pf after they launched. then they would leave the boat and trailer or schedule to leave the boat for the weekd come Friday they all wanted there boat back Friday night. and they paid before they left  .also didn't have hours to nit pick  small stuff like if I install at a guys dock at home and hes still at work oh its nice not having them standing there watching but they have all night to with a magnifying lens.to find that 1 crooked stitch or god forbid a scratch on the strataglass

scottymc

Quote from: zanepurcell on February 23, 2013, 06:18:03 pm
In practice, no one is going to sue you in court because you retrieved the unpaid for item. And if they did, you can counter-sue and get your money and its easier that way. In georgia, we have what is called "self assist re-possession" and in a past life when I was a jeweler, I used it frequently.  I would always stop by the magistrate's office the day before and tell him I was going to do it and when I did, they generally got the police and I stonewalled them and I got paid.

Zane
Australian law is the same as English law, If I went into a house to retrieve a couch or onto a boat to take back canvas due to non payment, I would be charged with unlawful entry and theft. A local electrician was charged for that when he tried to salvage something from the job and took the fittings back.