Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:26:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

question about thread

Started by Chica, February 17, 2013, 04:18:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chica

I'm fixin' to reapholster some ford lightning seats for my son. I have the right color of thread I got along with the sewing machine when I bought it. The thread is bonded nylon and I'm sure was used on furniture. Would it be alright to use it or should I get something like "Sunguard" which is bonded polyester?                                                                              Also does anyone know where I can buy the carbon fiber embossed leather that is used in the ford lightning seats.

MinUph

Welcome aboard Chica,
  If it were me I would use the Sunguard. It is more resistant to UV than nylon. If in a pinch the nylon would be fine. I tend to use the best I can for the purpose.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

February 17, 2013, 07:18:15 pm #2 Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 07:19:41 pm by Mojo
I agree with Paul. Your talking about alot of work there and to see it ruined because you used cheap thread would be terrible.

Sunguard is $ 30 a spool so I would buy that and use it. No idea what kind of machine you have but if you can sew large thread with it then 138 looks nice on automotive seats. It gives it a nice visual Pop.

Chris

Chica

Thanks so much. And thanks for the suggestion of the thread size. I hadn't even thought of that. Sungaurd it is. My machine is a Consew 206RB-5. Will the 138 thread work in this machine?

sofadoc

February 22, 2013, 07:46:25 am #4 Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:11:36 am by sofadoc
Quote from: Chica on February 22, 2013, 07:36:07 am
My machine is a Consew 206RB-5. Will the 138 thread work in this machine?
Yes, easily. I have a similar class machine that handles 207 with no problems.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Your Consew 206 will sew up to size 207.

BTW you have an awesome machine. It is a highly sought after machine for auto work.
Good luck with your project.

Chris

Darren Henry

Just a quick "aside" ,please; What is the max. size thread anyone has used on a 111W155 or equivalent (consew 225,226 etc...)?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

forsailbyowner

I have a cone of 207 Ive toyed with. Sure dont get much on a bobbin.

JuneC

I've run 138.  No need to put the big stuff in the bobbin.  90 in the bobbin and whatever on top for top stitching.  The 138 ran OK with a size 22 needle.  I thinking something bigger would require at least a size 24 needle.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Darren Henry

Thanks, I'll have to play around with the "spare" machine or mine.

138 doesn't seem to be too popular up here. Any Canucks know who carries it?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

jsquail

I have a 206RB-5. I can tell you it sews 207 thread just fine. use a 24 gauge needle. For 138 I use a 20 or a 22 gauge needle, depends on the job. I also have three different bobbin cases for the different sizes of thread. I have labeled the accordingly. I did this particularly because I didn't want to have to adjust tension on the bobbin case every time I changed thread size. Basically, i change thread size, change to the bobbin case i have setup for that thread size, sew some practice stitches on what I am sewing while adjusting the upper tension.

The largest needle the 206 handles(per the manufacturer) is a 25 gauge. They also state it will sew one thread size larger than the 207. Thats not something I think I would want to attempt. I just rolled out 48 Herculite 90 covers for a local shipyard using 207 thread on the 24 gauge needle. The job went quick, the machine was flawless. The thread the job called for sucked. not much 207 will fit on the bobbin. I added a touch on tension to the bobbin winder and it seemed to help.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas