Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 11:18:40 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Monogramming

Started by sofadoc, March 02, 2013, 06:55:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Occasionally, a customer will bring me a piece of monogrammed fabric to install on their furniture:

I've thought about advertising this service. There are several people in the area that I could send out the monogramming work to. And I'm sure there are a ton of online sites as well.  But I'm afraid that it would only encourage a lot of jackets, purses, gym bags, etc.
Do you guys go after this type of work? Or do you just "take it as it comes"?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

March 02, 2013, 07:47:52 am #1 Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:49:15 am by gene
I have done a few of these type projects. The last one was where a guy built a maple wooden ottoman and then had the fabric for the top monogrammed with his grand daughters college logo. I upholstered the top.

I've also cut the fabric for the inside back panel on a club chair and the customer took it to have it monogrammed. I marked where it needed to be centered and they did a good job on it.

I've also had a few projects where someone brought me a monogrammed item and I cut out the monogrammed part and incorporate that into the upholstered project.

If you emphasized "monogrammed fabric for furniture upholstery", that may keep the accessory items away.

This is an interesting idea. I'd like to hear if anyone has had success with it. One thought is that college alumni might be a good target market.

I'll never forget seeing my first monogrammed toilet seat at a co workers house: Penn State.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

QuoteBut I'm afraid that it would only encourage a lot of jackets, purses, gym bags, etc.

I actually didn't mind doing that kind of work and it was GOOD,QUICK money. the Canadian Army Veterans (C.A.V ) * opened a chapter in Kenora while I still had my shop and like most clubs they all bought patches (name tags,units they had served with,memorials for fallen brothers etc...) and needed them sewn on their vests. Everytime the Hell's angels had a get together or a visit in town I'd get a few drop out to the shop. I had a flat rate based on the size/complexity of the patch that was well above my shop rate and even the guys who whined and griped about my shop rate when I did their boat top or sofa thought they had gotten a heck of a deal.

GRANTED I do have a patcher and sometimes had to use it instead of my flat bed machine.

*C.A.V , as the name implies is a nation wide group of former and active armed forces personnel who use their hobby of riding motorcycles as an excuse to get together and do charitable things around their communities much like the Kinsmen or Lions etc...There is  a similar organization in the States---but I cannot remember their name right now. Chris, do you know? 
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Darren Henry

Funny story about doing that work:

I had set up shop in one of the local marinas to do a big job on their 3? footer and was just finishing up Saturday afternoon when my phone rang.It was one of my regulars wanting to know if I was in the shop. He'd been hosting a get together for the Angels and a few of the young lads had earned some new badges and were anxious to get them mounted. I told him what time to have them at the marina and that when I had finished the boat I'd fit them in before I packed up but that I wasn't going to wait on them as it was hot and I was thirsty { I could smell that cold beer in my fridge }.

I think I had three snaps yet to set to when they rolled in 2 minutes early. I gave them the double sided tape and asked them to place the badges "exactly" where they wanted them and finished up. I might have spent 15 minutes sewing those badges on for the three of them, but all insisted on a $20 tip on top of my fee.Then as quick as I could put my brief case in the cab they had my "shop" lashed on the back of Big Ethyl.  :o

So we strike up a conversation and some cigarettes [ I've just made a hundred bucks in 15 minutes and gotten my sewing machine/tables etc loaded for free with out having  to take my clothes off---that's good money) and one guy asks where my shop is , another guy jokes about "bet you're looking forward to cold beer in this heat",Blah blah blah. I throw my cigarette filter in the butt can behind the marina, say good bye/thanx and take off.When I get to the shop I have two of these dudes right behind me. None of the neighbours where working this saturday, humff.
"Well, you needed a hand to unload right?" was all the guy said as they  started untying the straps. The third fellow must have elbowed into line, or more likely was trying out his overdrive; 'cause he arrived with a dozen of my favorite frosties about the time we finished setting my shop back up.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

I only
Sill memtion it shen im pricing a boat uPholstery job that if they want i can have he logo embroidered on.  Notmmany do. I did on mine
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/seacraft/photo3-20.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/seacraft/6c31a70e.jpg

Mike

March 03, 2013, 05:00:48 am #5 Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:03:09 am by Mike
Quote from: Darren Henry on March 02, 2013, 09:18:42 am
Funny story about doing that work:

I had set up shop in one of the local marinas to do a big job on their 3? footer and was just finishing up Saturday afternoon when my phone rang.It was one of my regulars wanting to know if I was in the shop. He'd been hosting a get together for the Angels and a few of the young lads had earned some new badges and were anxious to get them mounted. I told him what time to have them at the marina and that when I had finished the boat I'd fit them in before I packed up but that I wasn't going to wait on them as it was hot and I was thirsty { I could smell that cold beer in my fridge }.

I think I had three snaps yet to set to when they rolled in 2 minutes early. I gave them the double sided tape and asked them to place the badges "exactly" where they wanted them and finished up. I might have spent 15 minutes sewing those badges on for the three of them, but all insisted on a $20 tip on top of my fee.Then as quick as I could put my brief case in the cab they had my "shop" lashed on the back of Big Ethyl.  :o

So we strike up a conversation and some cigarettes [ I've just made a hundred bucks in 15 minutes and gotten my sewing machine/tables etc loaded for free with out having  to take my clothes off---that's good money) and one guy asks where my shop is , another guy jokes about "bet you're looking forward to cold beer in this heat",Blah blah blah. I throw my cigarette filter in the butt can behind the marina, say good bye/thanx and take off.When I get to the shop I have two of these dudes right behind me. None of the neighbours where working this saturday, humff.
"Well, you needed a hand to unload right?" was all the guy said as they  started untying the straps. The third fellow must have elbowed into line, or more likely was trying out his overdrive; 'cause he arrived with a dozen of my favorite frosties about the time we finished setting my shop back up.

Good story darren ive friend back up north who is a mener of s different rival. Club he used to drop by alot with new patches.  I never asked shat they were for.
One time after seeing on one he tryied the. Es bCk on in all his. Imer sttire and a your guy come walking up from behind and says "club name". Whats that some type of club?  The guy spun atound and relized this was some dummy. Nicest guy i know though. One time ill
Never for get it was laconia bike week and he rolled up infront of my bait/canvas shop. On his full dressed candy rey  with while wall and white leather seat all dressed in colors  and a old lady pulled up a couple spa es over. She looks over st him and said hi are you up for bike week?   Now picture hes not your typical. Ike hes more like joe pechi and older itian that ive seen in a pinstripe suite and greased hair. He awseredd her " lady im up for anything"
Smiling ;)'

cthomps

I do application of patches all the time.  Letter jackets, leather jackets, police, sheriff, fire dept, military.  For me it is a good gig and I make pretty decent money on it.  I sent letters out to the police, sheriff and fire dept describing my service and asking for the opportunity to bid.  Ha, I also mend the jail uniforms!

I do not do the embroidery, as the machine is costly and the learning curve is astronomical.  I have developed a working relationship with people in the area that do however, and we both recommend each others services. 
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."