Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 06:53:31 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Tack Driver

Started by Mojo, February 16, 2013, 05:19:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

February 22, 2013, 06:25:15 pm #30 Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:26:25 pm by kodydog
Many moons ago I talked myself into buying the fake tack strip stuff. Started to use it on a job. After about 5 mins I noticed how bad the stuff looked and ripped it off and threw the whole kit and kaboodle away. The place I now work has a roll of the stuff. Looks like its been siting around, untouched, for about 20 years.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I've seen some factory jobs with the fake trim that look decent because the real nails actually match the fake ones.

But the stuff that my suppliers carry isn't a very close match at all. Every 4th nail sticks out like a sore thumb from 20 feet away. I showed it to my supply salesman. He just shrugged his shoulders while staring at the floor
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

zanepurcell

we have discussed before methods and a consensus that some have in reference to duplicating methods used in the customer's piece when putting it back together and returning it and not trying to re-invent things. On occasion I see chairs such as the one linked below and they often have the cheap nailhead tack strip. I would be inclined to re-do it in the same method. Although, it would be rare that someone would want to pay $400 to recover a $198 chair.
Zane
http://www.popularfurnitureny.com/product_info.php?products_id=807

sofadoc

Quote from: zanepurcell on February 22, 2013, 07:43:49 pm
Although, it would be rare that someone would want to pay $400 to recover a $198 chair.
Believe it or not, it happens around here it all the time. I know it really makes no sense why customers would want to invest that much money in a cheap chair. But it's pretty common around here.

If I ONLY accepted quality furniture jobs, I'd starve. I still do a lot of quality pieces, but not enough to keep the doors open. It's probably about half & half. The profit margins are just as good for the crap furniture, so I really don't care.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban