Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:00:40 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hello all, any other brits here?

Started by UKSteve, January 24, 2013, 01:22:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UKSteve

Hi,
Although I'm a member of lots of other forums based around my hobbies it never occured to look for one for my profession. :-[

I'm based in the midlands in the UK and upholster full time from home.

I hope I can contribute to the group in someway and hopfully pick up some tips along the way.

Steve.

byhammerandhand

Welcome.   Grab a cup of coffee, errr, tea, and join right in.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

C'mon in Steve. I'll throw another shrimp on the Barbie..........oh wait....... that's the other place ;)......never mind.

Welcome anyway.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Grebo

January 24, 2013, 05:31:00 am #3 Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:31:53 am by Grebo
Yep another Brit here, but not in the UK  ;D
Stitching in merry ol Espania.

Suzi

Darren Henry

Hi Steve; greetings from the great white north,eh. Welcome to the neighbourhood.

;D and colour is spelled like that too. :P
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

fragged8

hiya
me 3 ,
I'm Richard on the Norfolk Broads. Welcome to THE best forum on the whole web for sewing peeps..

Mike

Hi steve from sunny florida  doing marine canvas $ upholstery theers there another  british canvas guy RAF who pops on

Darren Henry

Who was the kilt flipper from Aberdeen? I haven't heard of him in a while but he was a great guy. Jock ?? I think. Jock o 36 ???
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

CamKrist

I decided to give a hand and sent a post into social bookmarks. I hope the popularity will rise in.

UKSteve

gene

Welcome Steve. I don't know any other place where someone can call you a "sewing peep" and it won't start a fight.  :D

I'm not a Brit. It seems to me that you folks across the pond are closer to the old style of re upholstery than we tend to be here in the USA. We do more foam, staples, poly batting, for example. I wonder if that's because of the cost of materials there and because you have a much greater recycling mentality that we do.

And isn't it amazing that whatever hobby you have you can always find others on the web who have the same hobby?

We are truly connected by the world wide web.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Grebo

Quote from: fragged8 on January 24, 2013, 03:15:34 pm
hiya
me 3 ,
I'm Richard on the Norfolk Broads. Welcome to THE best forum on the whole web for sewing peeps..

Surly second best Rich  :P

Suzi

sofadoc

Hey Steve, DON'T listen to Gene!!!
He's just "setting you up".

Next, he'll PM you about membership dues.  Don't send him any money. I sent him $39.95 a month for nearly 4 years before I caught on to his scam. I STILL haven't received my laminated ID card.

If you feel that you must make a cash contribution, send it to me. I'll make sure that it goes into the proper account. ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

UKSteve

Sofadoc: Cash? Yes I think I remember that stuff.

Gene, most of my work is older stuff it's true, I've got a victorian deep button chesterfield I'm working on this week. It's still on the original horsehair. Like most I take what I can get within reason, new, old and anything in between.
There is a throwaway culture here the same as most other places, luckily I've carved myself a little niche with people who understand the difference betweeen cost and value, all word of mouth and it keeps me busy.

Mojo

Steve:

We used to have several Brit's on here but kicked them all off...............:)

Nahhhhh.....Just kidding. Most Brits do not like associating with a bunch Yanks. Heck I have a hard time associating with these Yanks myself. :)

Chris