Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 02:09:13 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

High Tech Pattern Experience?

Started by baileyuph, January 11, 2013, 07:24:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobslost

Are models are drawn in pro-e which works well for placing cabinetry and even windshields  how ever its not practical for upholstery patterns . I'm sure that there is a version that would be suitable, but unfortunately we don't have access . Also all the  patterns that are created in pro -e have to be converted to a dxf program so our CNC router can read them . We also use pro- e to develop carpet patterns, counter tops and various other parts . Which also have to be converted  to a dxf file for our gerber soft ware can read it. I know the technology exist but software is very expense especially if you have to buy more than 1 seat.

baileyuph

Key word their Bobslost - cost of software.  The more technical it becomes,  cost usually goes up, I suppose cost of software is similar to anything, depends on how many copies are sold.  Cost almost as much to develop one copy and distribute as it does numerous cost.  So, cost is understandable in that perspective.

A question along with all this interesting stuff:  Not intended to break the thought flow if the thread, but it has to do with cutting multiple layers of vinyl, after a pattern is developed?  More specifically, what I wonder about is how many layers of vinyl should one expect to be able to cut at a time?  What cutting equipment would be suggested to cut about 10 layers at a time?

I assume the cutter would be a rotary disc cutter, either driven by hand or digitally by a Gerber cutter?

I suppose to do 10 layers, one would use something around a 6 or 8 inch diameter blade?

Or from your or anyone's exerience, is it better to cut fewer layers at a time, using the above example, 5 layers at a time and run the operation in two passes?  I would think it would keep the cutter blade cooler and maybe accuracy is easier to maintain.  Or if cutting fewer layers at a time, yields benefit, I suppose it best to do - maybe two or three? 

Given some familiarity with the hand driven rotary cutters, I recall getting more than 5 cut at a pass was something not done.  This was when working with medium weight vinyls.

There is considerable to understand isn't there?

Doyle

bobslost

We use a 2100c cutter( which has  a drill style blade )  and cut 8 to 10 layers of vinyl at a time . Usually with out a problem , occasionally depending on the size or complexity they may have to cut less or slow the speed down. On fabric we cut less 5 to 6 layers . In engineering we use and older model cutting edge with a wheel cutter(the blade is about 1" dia. but we only cut 1 layer at a time) The wheel cutter gives us a cleaner line for patterning purposes ,it also has a pen option so we can draw out patterns . A couple years back we had a software upgrade for it and it was over $10,000 . I was at a trade show in Texas they had a small wheel cutter for around $50,000 complete . I believe there is a you tube video on gerber cutters.

baileyuph

Special thanks to all contributing to this over view of the technology being used in our upholstery industry, and some of it for somewhile.  Bobslost, your contributions were very interesting and provided great insights - big thanks to you.

Just during the past few days, I have noted so many artifacts that provide indications of what you and others are aluding to regarding to how patterns with markings are used in the higher efficiency manufacturing activites.  Give a person with a similar background and it soon paints a much bigger and clearer picture of an activity - ie. pattern making and how to use them.

During the last traditional upholstery work projects in my business, these markings were incorporated with good understanding and effectivity.  Pleasant outcomes!

The one technique, one that is easier to understand than execute, is gathering.  This one gets challenging fast, it is a technique often noted in upscale leather auto interiors, not as simple as shirring some thin cloth, particular auto owners love to see their expensive leather interiors repaired back to like OEM .  Computers preprogramed and interfaced with differential feed equipment has the message written all over it.  There is so much a mere auto interior OEM type worker or upholsterer can wrap themselves around.

Something enjoyable and never a dull moment.   

Doyle

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

High tech cutter for sure, I like a method that takes the work out of it.  All we need is $$
and the marketing expertise to support the technology.

Doyle

Mojo

Maybe it is just me showing my age but........the technology of today simply blows my mind.

Amazing....:)

Chris

baileyuph

I hear ya Chris, technology has been moving on.  Largely, that is why that as we know the business today, we are a dying breed. 

We have talked Singer 16-188 and Singer 111W155, good old machines, but it is hard for me to believe that the 16-188 technology is in the altitude of 100 years old.  I sewed on those for about 10 years, they did the job but, as I said, now if it isn't a compound walking foot of varying neck length interfaced to computers , your aren't in the race.

Yes, we are a dying breed, at least being relegated to essentially repair work.  To be with it today, we have to get into high tech patterning, cutting, and sewing as well and do a heck of a lot of it to justify the capitalization.  That expands the knowledge base requirement a bit, plus now the business side of business is of equal importantce because if you dont dot all the "I"s and cross the "T"s, it may not all come together.

Therefore, mind boggling is the bottom line.

Doyle

Mojo

My son who owns a tech company and he has two people oin staff that do nothing but spend 40 hours a week researching existing and new trending technology and how it will impact their software and products.

As he told me once " we have a real difficult time staying on top of emerging technology ".

I myself have about given up. I learn something and then a year later its outdated and I am back to learning again. I now pick and choose what technology I take up these days.

Chris

gene

June 18, 2013, 04:22:16 am #39 Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:22:45 am by gene
One of my children is in college studying Bio MEngineering. She'll eventually work in the field of growing human body parts in a laboratory.

I still read about the cutting edge of technology because I find it fascinating. It's interesting also to read about the forces that try to stop it. (Such as political and religious forces.)

My cell phone makes phone calls and receives phone calls. No text, no VOC, no internet - it can take pictures but I don't have is signed up to get the software to put the pictures on my computer so I don't use it for pics.

I've gotten to an age where I often choose to keep on using old technologies because they work for me and I have no desire to put the time into learning new ones.

For example, I don't need a thermostat in my house that I can call with my cell phone and set the temperature because I'm coming home earlier or later than I had planned.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

A couple of phones ago, the salesman asked what I wanted to do with my new phone.

Me: "Make and receive phone calls."

Him: "Texting?"
Me: "No."
Him: "Photos."
Me: "No.  I have two digital cameras."
Him: "Web access?"
Him: "Apps?"

I was arranging something over the weekend with someone else.   In a matter of two minutes, she sent me 4 text messages.   I just called her and got it straightened out and confirmed in 30 seconds.

I see lots of people not much younger than me who seem to have their smart phones attached to their left hands.   In a minute of idle time, they're on it, ignoring everyone around them.   Last light we were discussing if it was supposed to stay warm all week.  Two of five people pulled out their phones and recited, 83, 84, 87, 88.     Geez.

Not a Luddite, I've been using computers daily, often all day long since 1969.   I just don't feel the need to be tethered.   Oops, back to the shop.

Quote from: gene on June 18, 2013, 04:22:16 am

My cell phone makes phone calls and receives phone calls. No text, no VOC, no internet - it can take pictures but I don't have is signed up to get the software to put the pictures on my computer so I don't use it for pics.

gene
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison