Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 03:53:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

High Tech Pattern Experience?

Started by baileyuph, January 11, 2013, 07:24:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

January 11, 2013, 07:24:12 pm Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 05:52:35 am by DB
It would be very interesting to learn about state of the art patterning capabilities, at the manufacturing level.

This question stems from a lazy boy swivel rocker that I worked on today.  This chair is so intricate and the pattern components fit with perfection.  I would have been professionally challenged to pattern this chair had the original not been so perfect.  

Of course, please understand the outside arm and/or back are not the components that are being referenced.  But, the inside back, attached type that is filled by foam with a solid formed foam with complicated shape that is far more sophisticated than a cube of foam.

It would have taken me considerable time and many redo efforts to ever arrived at a professional pattern required for the reuphostery prcess.

In review of this, there must be software supported by higher mathematics pattern engineers use to come up with patterns so perfect for upholsterning.

I suppose I should be awed by this, after all auto design, another example, does reveal some pretty sophisticated designing graphics capability.

That given, it would be very informative to hear someone talk who has worked in this sophisticated environment as aluded.  The way industries use sub contract support it would not surprise me to learn that what I am asking about is at that level, some high tech subcontract that actually does the theoretical work for a manufacturer such as LA-Z-Boy.

I carefully recaptured their pattern, sewed the components with exact registrations and seam allowances and it came out as nice as La-Z-Boy had executed.  Without their pattern, like I emphasize, it would take a while and a long while before accomplishing the same fit.  I don't think the job would be worth accepting.

Hence to hear from someone with experience at this technical level of patterning  would be very interesting.  I highly desire to learn more about the technique and equipments, etc. involved, perhaps searching the internet would give clues as a starter.

Any input on how to become informed about this subject? 

Thanks for any input,

Doyle

Rich

If you're just curious to learn how it's done Doyle, (I would be too) I can see the benefit of getting some info, but as for actually using it to make a profit, maybe not. I would think that level of sophistication would benefit only a volume manufacturer, not a small shop that may see that design only once.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

baileyuph

This business of small shops is changing fast, much of the furniture work on newer funiture can't be duplicated near as efficiently as manufacturing.

Small shops will disappear as mainstream bread and butter operations in the direction we are going.  So, the encouragement is learn more and perhaps get bigger or work for something bigger.  This technology has to be a relative to what is used in most manufacturing of upholstery or type of furnishings, i.e. auto, marine, etc.

Like stated above it is probably in the higher tech contractors to all these industries, would like to learn more about it.  Probably filled with higher mathematics and CAD capabilities, just for starters.

Doyle.

byhammerandhand

There was an interesting story on 60 minutes last night about robotic technology.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50138922n

In summary, routine task jobs are going away.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

I saw this on youtube recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tewf0qafTu8

I've also seen stacks of fabric where the pieces are cookie punched with a steel rule die. Notches are included in the cut out and the sewer lines up the notches and sews away.

I'm currently redoing the backs of some picture frame chairs where there were 3 notches at the bottom of the outside back and inside back panels. Line up the middle notch dead center and away you go. Unfortunately, the worker lined up the left or right notch and there wasn't enough fabric on one side to effectively hold the fabric onto the frame.

I've also seen auto upholstery videos where the fabric is heated to shrink onto the seats. This would certainly give a tight fit. I wonder how well it would be to use this same fabric as a pattern? It would certainly be more difficult to get reupholstered fabric back onto the seat.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Rich

Thanks for passing along that link Hammer, it looks like everyone's first fear of robots (they'll take over!) wasn't really that far off in some sense. It makes me wonder, is it possible to actually doom ourselves by putting so many people out of work? I mean, sure the early adopters are making a killing right now and will continue to do so, but taken to it's absurd extreme, who would be able to buy anything w/o a job? Then again, would continued efficiencies reduce the prices of so many products and services that it would benefit more people than it hurts? Is it the government's job to limit it's growth? That would be a huge turnaround in the American idea of entrepreneurship. I do like the idea of bringing the work back to the US.
Well, at any rate, robot development seem like a good direction for the young person looking for employment opportunities. It may be one of the few areas of employment left!
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

kodydog

January 16, 2013, 06:00:18 pm #6 Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:02:28 pm by kodydog
I worked in factories nearly 30 years ago. Back then each manufacturer had one or two guys who's sole job was to make the patterns for new styles of furniture and to tweak the patterns for existing furniture. This was a much sought after job because there was no production presser like there was on the manufacturing floor. Unlike reupholstering, where its a one shot deal because we only have enough fabric to make one pattern. These guy's could work up a pattern and upholster a chair and if it didn't come out quite right they had the luxury of redoing it till they got it perfect.

I've Googled  job searches for upholsterers. There are still a lot of manufactures looking for upholsterers including pattern makers. None of these job descriptions call for knowledge in any type software, higher mathematics, engineering, or CAD operation. This leads me to believe they still do it the same way they did 30 years ago. Trial and error working off designers sketches.

I know what your saying Doyle. I'm often astonished at the complex patterns found on recliners. And I sometimes wonder why they make them so difficult. My wife swears they do it to discourage us from reupholstering them.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

January 19, 2013, 06:28:22 am #7 Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:30:14 am by gene
Years ago I was a salesman for a paper plant. We made corrugated boxes. Over the years that plant went from 100 people to around 30 and more than tripled the production.

It got to where the paper was never touched by human hands. The rolls of paper came in one door and the boxes went out another door - everything was automated.

Today that plant is closed, as are many such plants because most of our manufacturing of other products that used boxes for shipping, went over seas.

Doyle, with Obama, Democrats, and Republicans, it is the governments' job to limit growth. Conservatives think the free enterprise system should do the limiting. There's not much power and control in being a Conservative, which is why all Democrats and most Republicans are not conservatives. This is not necessarily a criticism, just an observation.

gene

baileyuph

Good sense of humor Gene, the outcome of all this you talk about will be the truth.  So, your are right, not the time to start an opinion debate. 

We lost the election and to lose due to demographics (primarily) doesn't make a loser wrong. ;)

Like I say, time will tell.  After four years, well my question is; isn't it four years too late on developing a budget within limits?  That is imperative at my house and done regularly.

Doyle

Rich

Some in office can do nothing right, while others in office can do nothing wrong. Depending on who's talking anyway.
Rich

baileyuph

No matter the outcome of robots in your economy, but if they exist in a foreign economy, to compete will require them also.

So, if a business can't compete with those with robots, they will usually go out of business. 

In our economy, why can't we compete with imports?  Is the primary reason we don't have robots in that sector of manufacturing and the competition has cheaper labor or both (they have cheaper labor plus robots)?

Recently two CAT equipment seats came into the shop for reupholstery, analysis of the items verified they were high tech and put together very effectively.  Then I saw a label "made in China".  That discovery raised the question, why can't we compete in building these seats, it was apparent they were high tech producted with modern technology - Robots? 

Interesting situation, an American company (CAT) outsourcing for seats which are well made, not the usual situation "cheap imports".  Robots in any country should work for about the same cost, one tends to think, so what is the difference between the two international economies - that drives the item to be outsourced?

Money has to be a major factor, so what is the contributing factor to cost between the US and China?  Government?  Capitalization?

Puzzling, especially when the seat had to be imported, that in itself is an additive cost.  This type of issue runs deeper than I thought.

Doyle

gene

January 21, 2013, 07:15:41 am #11 Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:16:35 am by gene
It's not just automation. Labor costs are a primary factor. $100 per month in China to our $2000 per month in USA for example.

Environmental costs are another factor: EPA, OSHA, Federal/State/local laws and regulations. These are non existent in most other countries.

Government employee errors cost companies 10's of millions of dollars a year just here in Ohio.

Liability issues: billions of dollars a year. 2/3 of all lawyers in the world live in the USA.

Our giant welfare system: welfare, disability, workers comp, unemployment, Obama phones, etc., etc., etc.

How many workers who get a pay check believe they only pay 1/2 of the 15% social security and medicare 'tax'?

Our cost of living is higher than China and other 3rd world countries.

I find it amazing that anything is being produced here in the USA.

gene

Mojo

Some manufacturing is coming back to the States. Two reasons why is because it places production facilities and employees closer to the design engineers of the product. You will always have widgets made in other countries but I suspect more companies will revert back to the States with some of their production.

The second reason ( big reason ) is that these countries are losing their competitive advantage due to wage pressures within their own countries as well fuel prices. Workers are demanding better wages ( and getting them ). The overseas makers are finding their margins are also shrinking because shippers are demanding higher prices due to increased fuel costs while operating their ships and planes.

In regards to quality, remember when Japan was the junk producer of the world back in the 40's and 50's ? They got their act together and became known as a quality producer. I suspect the same will happen with China.

Chris

Rich

QuoteIt's not just automation. Labor costs are a primary factor. $100 per month in China to our $2000 per month in USA for example.

Environmental costs are another factor: EPA, OSHA, Federal/State/local laws and regulations. These are non existent in most other countries.

Government employee errors cost companies 10's of millions of dollars a year just here in Ohio.

Liability issues: billions of dollars a year. 2/3 of all lawyers in the world live in the USA.

Our giant welfare system: welfare, disability, workers comp, unemployment, Obama phones, etc., etc., etc.

How many workers who get a pay check believe they only pay 1/2 of the 15% social security and medicare 'tax'?

Our cost of living is higher than China and other 3rd world countries.

I find it amazing that anything is being produced here in the USA.

gene

Good list Gene, I'd add unions to that.
One other thought, with so many Americans voting in politicians who favor bigger government, (just look at the last elections) won't we be handicaping ourselves even more in the future?
Rich

gene

Obama had those kids with him when he came out with his 23 executive orders concerning gun control.

49% of those kids, when they grow up, will be working to pay for the other 51% who will not be working, AND, AND, AND, those 49% will be working to pay off the debt that Obama and the democrates incurred during his first 2 years in office.

No one asked those kids what they thought of that?

gene