Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 09:27:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

need refinishing wood help

Started by lc, January 09, 2013, 11:42:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lc

Hi Guys

I am refinishing an old organ I have that has burled walnut...I didn't realize the burl was fake nor did I know it could be.   

Yes I stripped it off ... Groan !!!  Can you help me  ?  how do they do fake burl ? should I maybe just get some burl vaneer ?

I just started with the top so the rest of the organ is still unstripped. What and how do you clean up fake burl ?
Much help is apreciated.
The organ is walnut with burl panels
Thanks

byhammerandhand

January 09, 2013, 02:04:42 pm #1 Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:24:34 pm by byhammerandhand
Yes, that's a nasty surprise.   Some of these, also on grandfather clocks, have figured grain literally printed on them.

I had a dresser a few years ago where the drawer fronts were printed on and when I stripped them, I ended up with stark white poplar  :o   Being rather small, I veneered on some pieces of the same species that were being fauxed (is that a word?)

I had a decorative painting class a few years ago, and we learned a number of techniques.   There is also a local, well-known, furniture (and now kitchen cabinet) builder that does a lot of decorative / faux finishes.   If you can get your hands on Nick Engler's book, http://www.amazon.com/American-Country-Furniture-Projects-Workshop/dp/0875969526/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357768960&sr=8-2&keywords=workshops+of+david+t+smith"; .  About the last fourth of the book covers finish techniques that DTS uses.    I have a painting that I bought from him and it uses a "rag rolled" technique to simulate curly maple.  

You may be able to faux the burl by:
- Applying a base dye to the wood
- Sealing it with a coat or two of finish
- Applying a glaze using decorative painting techniques (sponge, rag-rolling, saran wrap, etc.)
- Sealing with a coat of finish
- Repeating the above two steps as needed
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

MinUph

Not to sound negative but copying a pattern like your taking about would take some serious professional with much experience in the faux field. If this is a top notch job leave the faux to someone that has experience. The cost might well be worth it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

lc

I will look for that book thanks Keith . I looked online and videos are vague . They say the term faux is french for fake. I guess it's just a fancier way to say it.

I do artwork paintings and such but I am unsure of this technique .
I may do a few practices to see if I can mimic it ., if not I'll find someone who knows it well . I would like to bring it back to it's original state .

It's my organ , at least it isn't a customers ...whew !! 
Another question ...the keys are chipped ., if I want to restore it should I be trying to find the same origional keys from another organ thats in better shape ? or is it just as well to order new keys.
I'm not too familiar with total restoration guidelines

Mojo

Just as an addition to this.

I will be renovating our coach and it can be hell trying to match the factory stain. I didn't know this service was available at Sherwin Williams but they will do a stain match for you for free ( as long as you buy the stain they mix of course ).

You have to provide them with an unstained piece of wood your working with as well as a piece of the stained wood your trying to match. They will then go through the process of mixing to get the exact match. They can then provide you with the stain and formula for future use.

I cannot begin to remember the countless hours I spent trying to match stain colors for a project. Wished I would have known this back then. I will be using this service soon when I start doing work on our coach.

Chris

lc

Thanks Chris

That takes a lot of guess work out of things . Especially matching properly

zanepurcell

Murphy oil soap is good, diluted in warm water to simply clean grime and reveal the original faux finish. try it in a small area first, its inexpensive.
Zane

lc

Murphys oil  ..I will try it ..the tricky part is stripping the wood around the panels ., it's all raised alligator looking...therefore  trying to protect these areas could be a challange

byhammerandhand

Your other option is to just forget the burl and finish it in its ordinary grain.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

lc

Thats what my husband said . I like the burl look . I'll see how it goes though , I may change my mind thought once I strip the rest of it.   Lots of work ahead yet.