Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:45:59 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

1 more out of my hair

Started by Mike, December 27, 2012, 06:44:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

a hunter 45 enclosure new top and windows

:o

NDAV8R

Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

baileyuph

Mike,
Is the enclosure installed year around?

Or are windows removed during summer when vessel is in use?

Then, in summer windows are installed to keep insects and such out of interior?

Plastic in windows 40 guage or less?

How long do pattern and complete the job? 

Snaps used exclusively to hold top on, maybe with straps?

Looks like a degree of work, nice go!
Doyle

Mike

Thanks Gale. Doyle 40g vinyl. The owner wanted snaps only less obtrusive and less painfull on bare feet. He has a captian who take him to the bahamas and the captian reauested the enclosure for thoose cold winter day here when your aclimated to the summer heat 50s is cold and if its windy even worse so they will only be used in the winter im toldand the rear will probly be off alot
Time i did the job in 2 parts. I patterened the top nd made it with i stall a about
12 hours.  Then patterened the windows.  Tuff with  the winter  winds here summer is dead calm mostly
6 about to pattern about 24 to make the eindows and 5 hr install
So about47. In slowing a bit and did alotover the holiday preweekend and worked as i felt like it.

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Thanks for the explanation of the purpose of the enclosure, even I was able to relate.  LOL.  I can relate to 50 degrees seeming cold when you are used to much warmer temperatures.  Plus, the unit is used in another location. so the owner will really appreciate the new enclosure.

Time to pattern, cut, sew, and then install (sounds like a lot of snaps) doesn't sound unreasonable for that much work.  Work like that, one has to take a lot of time and the installer has to keep his mind into it.  That isn't a straigh forward project. 

I have worked with 40 guage clear (auto) and it is different from other materials (I.E. canvas or vinyl).

Patterning those windows (sections) has to be a challange, the owner has to be satisfied with that job for it is darn nice!  Wish I could have assisted in that project, one time in the barrel can't do any harm, at least one would learn you can get wet. Smile

What I am amazed about is you go to the boat measure and pattern, then go cut and sew.  If any questions enter your mind about the measurements, then back to the boat you have to go, for one can't afford to make bad judgement(s), time and extra materials are expensive.

Your seaming around the windows (the strips) is very good, better than a factory fit would ever be.  As a customer, knowing what I do about something like this, no way would I hire an unknown to do the job.  I am one of those guys who price is secondary to quality, I don't care what it cost if it means getting a good job versus a not so good job.  That work is harder than most of my furniture, auto, and even traditional boat work that is done around here (nothing like what you just did - different market).

I have never made a boat enclosure, that is a different arena. 

You heard it here, that is craftsmanship.  I know your in demand in the Florida area.

I have often wondered what one could do with a computer system that digitizes the basic pattern, then store it for future use on a similar boat.  In my business I could use something like that because there are patterns that keep coming up again and again.  Lot's on my mind, there are some ideas that I would like to put together. 

If a computer patten could be produced in a sufficient form to take to the boat to verify, even if it had to be tweaked for that specific boat, seems it would save time?  It would help me in other work I do, just thinking you know.

Have a happy new year,

Doyle

Mike

doyle I had a couple boat dealer who id make new covers for so id make a pattern and keep it and they would call we need a such n' such in blue.  then sales slowed and I had a call for fewer and fewer jobs.  then all of them closed the local shop or went under .  now I don't work with any.kinda nice they always wanted it asap and ih have to drop what im doing and order materials with no deposite.
as far as the pattwerning when I was in new Hampshire for 11 years learning I didn't make patterns I fitted each piece on the boat at my shop be it small on a trailer or larger at my dock and I had a few call for work at the coast that I hasd to turn down heck I was to busy anyway if I did know how to pattern. but after I made up my mind I was going to move I knew id never find a shop on the water lke I had there so I bought some tapes and learned the cot patterning technique  and tried one on a snmall boat on in my yaed it worked fine and I had the confidence I could do it full time. yes I do try to make as many notes on the pattern on what goin gon and take pictures of complicated areas to remember later when im on the table. but still im worried every time I go to install a new job  after reading peepy sucses with half patterns I finally tried it a few years ago but ill only do it in a cover  never a full enclosure like that one though peppy will half the top and one side of the windows  :o

forsailbyowner

Just an FYI, my bro in Charleston was quoted $12,000 for an enclosure and tops on his Hunter 45 Aft cockpit. I'm on Bberry, can't make out the wing. I'm taking it the traveler is on stainless tubing overhead? Did this one have the collapsible telescoping frame? If so,did you build it in the up or down position?

Mike

Forsale. It had the stainless arch with the travler. It had an existing. Imini that attached to the forward tube of the arch. The guy wanted to enclose the arch even though there was no good way to make it watertigh at the travler at the ends ther was ss mount i had to go around that will let water in. The rear window enclosure mounted with a track and kedar.  12k did your brotherinlaw do it id never get that on the gulfcoast   Less then half with the frame there. One thing sailboat owner are fugal whereever ove been i had a guy back out on a $400 sailcover. I can count on.  Fingers with toes for sure how many sailboats ive done.
Not bashing just saying.