Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 09:50:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Kitchen booth

Started by gene, December 17, 2012, 05:41:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I'm recoverin a kitchen booth today. It's L shaped and made in one piece so I could not get it out of the house. I had to take the old vinyl and pattern it at my studio.

I am very worried that this 50 year old pattern will not give me an exact fit.

I bought a portable air compressor for this job. Thanks for the post awhile back on air compressors. That was very helpful.

I'll post pictures when I get it completed.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

gene

The 50 year old pattern was closer to 30 years but it didn't make a difference. I will need to get the entire frame, somehow, into my van and into my studio.

I think the old Naugahyde cover was too stretched and warped to get me close to a decent fit.

I now know what it's like to spend hours trying to get a 4 fingered glove onto a 5 fingered hand.

I took pics but my camera said there was a problem with the memory card. I think my camera was looking out for my best interests - didn't want me to embarrass myself with pictures.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Rich

I pattern out vinyl on site quite frequently with no problems. Use some sort of patterning sheeting. I use old, large shipping sleeves cut to lie flat. You can tape pieces together for large expanses. I use the old seams as a guide, but straighten the line out where necessary. Allow a smaller seam allowance on the pattern than you will sew with taking into account the length and direction (stretch) of the vinyl. If the panels are flat, there should be no problem. If there are pleats, then pleat up the vinyl first, then lay the pattern over them to mark.
Don't forget heat where necessary and I agree, I probably wouldn't use 30 year old vinyl that has probably shrunk.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!