Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 04:03:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

stinky vinyl

Started by gene, December 21, 2012, 04:49:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

December 21, 2012, 04:49:05 pm Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:50:16 pm by gene
Hello,

A customer brought in 4 yards of a stinky vinyl. The ink side smells. I think it smells like fish - maybe a sulfur smell?

It's a crocodile pattern. Good looking stuff.

If I roll out the vinyl will that help the smell go away? Will it go away on it's own? The customer wants to spray it with Fabreeze. Will that help?

It's going on a very large cornice board so I don't think the homeowner wants a fishy smell wafting throughout her home.

Thank you,

Gene

PS: I told my customer to tell the homeowner that it's real crocodile skin and crocs eat fish which is why it smells like fish. She did not think that was a good idea.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

JDUpholstery

most vinyl has a smell to it when you first unroll it, due to the chemicals it is made with, however, I have not ran into one that smells fishy! I dont think Fabreeze will help it , just wash it down with mild soap/water and let it air out, see if that helps.

I am assuming this is new material, if it is old, and gathered that smell due to some odd storage, it may not help!

MinUph

We got a roll of this stuff about a year ago. I knew it was going to be trouble but it was a C.O.M. We put it on a sofa and the customer had it changed a couple months later. Never went away. Same fishy smell you mentioned. I never found the cause but if it stinks send it back. It is a complaint waiting to happen.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

Keyston Bros sells a nice croc pattern vinyl that doesn't stink.  I'd beware anything that out-gasses that much.  Headaches are on the horizon - maybe nausea.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields