Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 10:22:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hot Knife Usage

Started by Mojo, December 15, 2012, 03:47:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I was just wondering what type of surface others are using to cut acrylic or whatever with their hot knifes.

I installed a 1 x 1/8 " of aluminum on my table and found that the aluminum sucks alot of the heat out of the knife making cutting slow and tedious. I also use my yellow straight edge I got from Lowes when cutting pockets. It is made of metal and is powder coated and the knife cuts like it is cutting butter and glides smoothly across the fabric.

My cutting table is made of the white formica type plywood you get at Lowes and the hot knife will melt the surface so I like some type of barrier.

What type of surface are you cutting on with your hot knife ?

Chris

JDUpholstery

I just use the same metal channel that guides my power shears to guide my hot knife....but for curves and what-not I have a piece of 1/8" masonite I throw over the table

Darren Henry

I bought the foot for mine. I find that it cuts a little faster if you don't have that heat sink under the material and I save the time moving that piece of whatever underneath it around.But hey; I'm using a $20 soldering gun that I picked up 1/2 price on sale, so the $ didn't seam so extravagant.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

I dont like the foot on as there is msny task i use it for that cant have the foot.
I just have a nirmal formica laminame top adfer time it has got some burn marks but dosent affect the work

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/9393C4D3-5473-4C59-99F5-7DD5FB69C5B3-800-00000180069A93F3.jpg

Mojo

I have the foot for my hot knife as well but took it off. kept getting clogged and I spent to much time cleaning it out.

Chris

DBR1957

I have 1/4" luan on my tables and cut without the foot. The luan also allows me to pin material
down with the mushroom pins. I usually cut from one side of the table. When that side gets marked up
from cutting then just rotate the table. When both sides are done I will flip the luan over and repeat.

Grebo

December 17, 2012, 04:43:55 am #6 Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:15:02 am by Grebo
Quote from: MikeM8560 on December 15, 2012, 08:48:49 am
I dont like the foot on as there is msny task i use it for that cant have the foot.
I just have a nirmal formica laminame top adfer time it has got some burn marks but dosent affect the work

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/9393C4D3-5473-4C59-99F5-7DD5FB69C5B3-800-00000180069A93F3.jpg

Me too Mike  ;D  but mine is not quite so scarred as yours, Obviously I just don't work as much as you.
I find the foot has its uses, like retro fitting a zipping in a pocket or cutting something when there is no table around.

Suzi

Mojo

Mike:

I looked at your table and had an OCD attack. My table has 2 razor knife cutting marks on it and I about went out of my mind.  :P    :o

My wife picked up two new metal straight edges and I will mount them on my table and use them to cut on. I typically sandwich the acrylic between two of these and use the straight edge on the top cut with clamps as a guide. It helps give me nice clean and straight edges. It also keeps me from having to take valium for being an 1/8 inch off.

I think my wife maybe right. I need to be medicated before I head into the shop to keep my OCD under control.  ;D   8)

Chris

Oldtimer

I use a piece of laminated safety glass under the material , it's 12"X50" it doesn't
take any heat out of the knife and protects the table top. If you go to a auto glass
shop that cuts flat glass they probably have lots of cut off pieces you could get  cheap.

Mike

Quote from: Mojo on December 17, 2012, 05:31:39 am
Mike:

I looked at your table and had an OCD attack. My table has 2 razor knife cutting marks on it and I about went out of my mind.  :P    :o

My wife picked up two new metal straight edges and I will mount them on my table and use them to cut on.

that's the look of money chris  , I never have straight cut unless in sewing a blank together .

Mojo

98 % of my cuts are straight. rarely do I cut an angle unless it is some other type of work.

It surely is the look of money but dang......it is OCD overload. :)

Chris

Mike

You eouldnt want to see the floor then. I need a  lean it  efore i can walk around the table it is a tight space and all the cutti gs end up around the table on the floor in a hurry. I tried keeping a smsll trash barrel u der the table   Ut in a burry i just cut and slide it off the table.
So i usualy have to clean first before s project when i done im usualy too tired

JuneC

Quote from: Old RAG on December 17, 2012, 08:30:19 am
I use a piece of laminated safety glass under the material , it's 12"X50" it doesn't
take any heat out of the knife and protects the table top. If you go to a auto glass
shop that cuts flat glass they probably have lots of cut off pieces you could get  cheap.

Great idea!  And welcome to the forum.  I always use a foot on my knife, but it does slow me down.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

Mike:

I would probably walk into your shop and take one look at that table and floor and ask you to shoot me. My OCD couldn't handle it.

I hate to even mention this because some will think that I need a rubber room ( most already think I need one ) but my OCD is so bad that I wont work till I clean the shop. I have a long carpet runner on top of floor mating in front of my table and I constantly vacuuming it. I vac my shop probably two to three times a week. I typically clean as I go in regards to scraps.

I know guys, I need some professional help...........lol... 8)   ;D   :P

Chris

Mike

I actualy saw a guy vacuuming his driveway yesterday. that was a 1st22