Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 10:26:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Risky Purchase

Started by Mojo, December 14, 2012, 09:49:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I made a very risky purchase the other day by buying some leather on E-Bay. As I mentioned in another thread this guy bought two full cow hides from Tandy leather for $ 450 per hide. He used them for curtains on a closet I guess, got tired of them and listed them for sale.

I scored both of them for $ 110 which included shipping. I was on pins and needles ( no pun intended ) till they arrived thinking I may have just bought junk leather that is useless. The hides arrived today and they are awesome. Excellent shape. Soft yet thick upholstery quality hides.

It makes up for the royal screwing I have gotten before on E-Bay buying leather. I got one hide that was so thin it was completely worthless. Another one that was finished in croc print was scuffed to hell.

I am going to use some of it on my cigar chair to recover the cushions and the rest my wife and I will make purses out of it.

I am always on e-bay prowl looking for bargains and I believe this may have been a great score. Merry Christmas to me. :)

Chris

sofadoc

Frankly, buying leather is a crapshoot anyway. Whether from an individual on E-bay, or "first run" hides from a trusted wholesale supplier.
Sounds like you did pretty good on this one. Have fun.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Never done furniture before. Since I got it cheap I wont cry to hard of I screw it up. :)

I am just doing the cushions.  :o

Chris

Mike

What is a cigar chair? 
I just got angreat deal on a rattan stles sofa and loce seat cor my florida room.
150 for bolth. Ive.started snooping craigslist latly. I bouggt my last motorcyxle off e bay a big ganmble as the bike was in ohio.