Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 08:23:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Anybody else do this?

Started by sofadoc, December 12, 2012, 08:18:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Someone on this discussion board suggested this a few years back:

Different stitchers employ slightly different seam allowances, so this technique may not be perfect for everyone. But it works very well for me.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Now that is a cool idea. Thanks for posting. :)

Chris

JDUpholstery

Nope, but you can bet I will now! thats an awesome idea and makes those spare bobbins useful!

Mike

funny I cant open it with windows 8

MinUph

I remember seeing that before too. I did try it but my pencils don't fit in the bobbins LOL. I just add 1/2" by eye.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

Mike 8560; Remember the spirograph we all had as kids? He has his pen in the centre of an empty bobbin, that he lays against the wood seat frame he is patterning,and just draws it around.

I'm lucky; my finger is 1/2" thick.  8) I can do the same thing in 3D  :P. that is how I do everything.

Awesome tip;Dennis.

Thanx
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

just looked and this time it played I stoped using anything but a crayon or pencil marking vinyl.
ive had bad experiences with ink :o

Grebo

Nice one, thanks for posting.  :D

Suzi

sofadoc

That is the one drawback (ink) since a stick pen is about all that will fit in the bobbin center. If you're opposed to marking with ink, this method isn't for you.

mike802

You can buy offset wheel gauges used in woodworking here, only the tip of a pen, or pencil is needed to fit and they come in a variety  of sizes.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/Page.aspx?p=50272&cat=1,42936,50298
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on December 12, 2012, 06:58:07 pm
Mike 8560; Remember the spirograph we all had as kids? He has his pen in the centre of an empty bobbin, that he lays against the wood seat frame he is patterning,and just draws it around.

Actually, I prefer a full bobbin. The thread makes a nice cushion as it rides around the board. That's why I like it better than those wheel gauges (and I can't find my Spirograph ;D).

JDUpholstery

Ink is fine for making cut lines....just don't draw center marks, or write things in the "field" with it...I learned that the hard way when i did that and after covering a cushion over a short period of time it said LFB clearly in the middle (backwards).....but as far as marking the cut line its going to be gone, or at least hidden in the seam allowance....if I need to write on a piece now I make sure I keep it in the seam allowance or use chalk

Mike

the trouble I have with ink aside from bleeding through especial with sharpir I will get finger dirty and im always using white.

Darren Henry

If you don't like ink they make a pen (well, a refill for a pen) for marking leather that is non permanent and writes in silver. It wipes off leather and most vinyls quite easily but can be permanent on sunbrella and some fabrics. I don't know if tandy/Leatherfactory carry them. I buy mine through my shoe findings wholesaler.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

Take a look at what this master violin maker does at 5:03. It would appear that all the 'greats' think alike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--l78zZ-6Ks

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!