Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 08:17:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

OK Furniture Guys

Started by Mojo, December 08, 2012, 01:03:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

The measurements I got from each hide was 61 x 62 ". I took the measurements from inside the brand marks and leg areas. So this measurement represents leather that is usable with no areas to have to be cut around.

Would this hide be enough to do the chair with ? The cushions ?

Chris

sofadoc

I'm not sure how you would incorporate an inset panel on the inside back of your chair, since it has an attached cushion. The driver's seat in the motor home doesn't have any external cushioning.

If you plan to use a vinyl on the outsides, and go back with attached cushions (leather on top side only), then I think your 2 hides will suffice.

Take some approximate measurements of the panels of your chair, and visually lay them out on your hides.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Since you have attached pillow back and bottom cushion, hmmm ........Chris, do you feel comfortable going into just doing the cushions?

I fully understand that the entire chair is more cost and work..............but!

Let us know what you decide. 

Good luck on your project.

Forgot, Chris do you like the design of the pillow back?  Maybe it is my computer, but I am not sure about the design of that cushion.  Is it like it appears, knife edge?  Could be my computer Chris, probably is. 

When you leaving on the trip?  You won't start on the chair until you get back, will you?  Oh, stay more traditional on the design, don't make it look like a motor home driver seat.  Grin.

Ok, I weighed in! 
Take care guy,

Doyle

Mojo

Doyle:

You brought up something I never even really looked at or considered. I am not crazy about the knife edge myself and will go with traditional boxing.

Am I comfortable doing this ? God no. But then I will never learn unless I push myself. Thankfully Paul lives a couple miles away from me and I can call on him if I get stuck.

To be honest I am looking forward to this project. No idea how quick I can get to it but I think it will expand my horizons a little and get me out of this burned out phase with canvas work. I believe what I am going to do is recover the cushions, arms and front with the hides I have
( I hope I have enough leather ) and then do the rest of the chair in some Molbern I found that matches the color and grain texture. Dennis had a good point, the arms are about shot.

If I can get this thing to look like a coach seat then I can install a steering wheel on my ottoman and drive without burning hundreds of gallons of fuel..........:)

Thanks for the input Doyle. very glad you mentioned that knife edge. I didn't catch that.

Chris