Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:15:14 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

repairing pontoon boat seats

Started by zanepurcell, November 17, 2012, 09:22:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zanepurcell

for those of you that do marine work, how do you repair rotten plywood panels? what kinds of materials do you use? where is a good source to get the new plastic boards used?

Zane

Mike

ive bought starboard or like material from my suppliers all my upholstery vinyls cone from Miami im not sure they have it .
I usse preasure treated plywood most of my customers are more cost sensitive and this irks fine .

JDUpholstery

I use PT plywood, dried for a couple weeks, then sealed with epoxy resin or poly resin and fiberglass

zanepurcell

I ended up using some marine plyywood CCX for the seats, I am fabricating some complete seats and working with a local building supply place to come up with some good solutions for material and sealer.

Zane

scarab29

pvc foam board. like a newer boat would have .
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

JuneC

PVC board like Scarab.  I had a customer once make the base for a new Boston Whaler seat from plywood and he asked me to put on foam and cover it.  He was so proud of himself I didn't have the heart to rain on his parade.  He did a nice job and put a really thick layer of polyurethane over the wood.  It was impervious - at least until I punched dozens of holes in it with the staples.  It lasted just over a year.  Unless you're going to zip the covers on and not mount them with screws through the vinyl/wood, it'll get wet and rot.   In fact, sealers make it rot way faster since the wood stays wet for months.  If you can manage to keep the seats dry, plywood will last forever. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Darren Henry

The only source I have around here for PVC board is through the sign industry. They call it intacell (sp) and it rocks. It is heat mold able [ you should have seen the look on "Rattle snake hollow's " face when Carol and Paul dropped by and saw me with a chunk of it in the BBQ to form coaming pads for a bow rider. ] , stronger /thickness than plywood and lighter/volume than PT plywood.

As June points out; we are going to put holes in anything we work on. Up here +65% humidity is a damp day. We do well with PT plywood and some vents to let  the moisture out of the seat.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!