Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 11:41:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

References?

Started by Ageorge, November 02, 2012, 09:36:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ageorge

I just had a potential customer ask me for people to call as references. Has anyone else run into this? Not that I really mind, but I feel a little strange just giving out customer's information...but i guess I can call some and ask if it is ok before handing over their contact information to a stranger. Maybe I wouldn't find this as strange if my customers were actual businesses rather than someone calling them at home??

sofadoc

Quote from: Ageorge on November 02, 2012, 09:36:13 am
I feel a little strange just giving out customer's information..
I agree. It's rare that a customer asks me for references. But when they do, I tell them that I don't feel comfortable giving out my customer's phone numbers.

There are some customers that just don't want their spending habits made public.

I've also found that many customers aren't real receptive to the idea of me putting pics of their furniture on my website. Especially if I take a pic of the completed piece after sitting it down in their living room. Different reasons, such as an ex-wife who doesn't want her ex-hubby knowing how she's spending her (formerly HIS) money. Others would just rather keep their expenditures private.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

zanepurcell

This is a word of mouth business. And frankly, when a stranger happens to find you and walks in, their basic thoughts are along the lines of timely delivery, quality of work and fair price. You can give then a quote to satisfy the price issue, and if you have some finished work around you can show your quality. When it comes down to time and convincing then that you are a reasonable person and will charge reasonable in the end, an educated consumer needs assurance. If you have a website, you need a page of work and testimonials. In a service industry, testimonials are everything.
Now, you don't want to have your customers pestered a hundred times but random strangers asking them about their couch. I however bet that you have a few customers that have been cheerleaders for you and send you some work all along. There are also customers that make a point to tell you what a wonderful job you have done. Focus on those. If you have a website or are processing one, ask for a few testimonials and put them in print on the website with a picture of the work. Use this as an opportunity to follow up with some customers that like your work but have been out of touch. Ask them how their job is holding up and working out. If they are satisfied, ask for a reference.
Once you have taken those steps, you have increased business, built goodwill and have something tangible for potential new customers to see.
Look at this as an opportunity. Even if it is a bulletin board in the front of your shop wiht some pictures and attached letters from customers telling you about how they like their work.
Think about making a facebook fan page for your business. You obviously have web access and a computer. use it.
On the other hand, don't waste time trying to cater to unreasonable customers and in the end, do what you feel comfortable doing. Unreasonable potential customers can turn into unsatisfied past customers.
Remember, your satisfied customers are your free advertising.
Zane

zanepurcell

one more thought comes to mind after reading the sofaking's post.
I give a "demo discount." If it is something that I have not recently done and dont have pictures of as an example, I offer a discount to them so I can venture into a new type of product and have the right to use images of it in advertising.
That tactic can also be used as a come-on to make a sale and we could go into the principle of natural greed on behalf of so many that can be pandered to in marketing but we wont.

Ageorge

Thanks..I do have a fb fan page and a website already, i just didn't feel comfortable having my customers called by people they don't know. I like the idea of putting testimonials on my website though.That is a great idea.

JDUpholstery

really depends on the customer you are using as a reference...I have one customer that insists I send potential customers to see his boat...I have not actually done it, but if needed I am sure if I call and arrange a viewing it would be well met...I would not however just give random potential customers old customers contact info, that could turn a happy customer into an unhappy one!

gene

I have been asked a few times for references and I point out that I do not use references. If it's over the phone or email, I invite them to visit my studio and look through my photo portfolio. This has always answered their concerns about my business, quality, and service.

This has never happened, but I think if someone were in my studio and had just looked through my picture portfolio and still wanted references, I think I would be very leery of doing work for them. That would be a big red flag.

I have never given out the name and number of a customer.

Hey zanepurcell: You used the word "sofaking". Is that in reference to sofadoc? If so, are you saying "sofa king" or are you saying "so faking"?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

I will not give out any customer information...........Period. If they want references let them go elsewhere.

I have never had a request for references. Almost 90 % of my business is through referrals. Those typically suffice.

I would be livid if some company gave out my contact details to a potential customer without first contacting me. It is customary also whenever a customers product that you made for them is used as a show piece that they are compensated.

Chris

Mike

November 02, 2012, 04:47:33 pm #8 Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 04:49:54 pm by MikeM8560
I have that wiestion about on e a gear it alway been for a
$6000 plus canvas job on a '38' plus bost i hate it when they ask it alway a job i maybe see one ot two a tear of and i have to think back who i could mention. When i have ive  alled the last. Ustomers to ask if they did t mind a call i. An o ly think of 3 in the last 9 years.  
It harxs be ause fhe name i can come up eith is pribly a job a year old and the boat id pronly gone moved north or sold. So nothing to see just talk.
But latly im more like mojo i dont care if they ask and i had one this summer i said i dont have anyone here in the summer that i could name there all gone. I didnt get the job it was. Sail ost i i seldome get them there to thrufty.

byhammerandhand

I have an answer.  They can plunk down $39.99 and join Angie's List and see my reviews there.

Sofa King Good Furniture Reupholstery?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

Having an festimoniL on your site. Ahos to say its real and nit just somthing written up.
And giving names for a referals whos voing to give an unhappy. Ustomer as a rederal only vood ones right.   And e ergone had a bad apple and good so i dont like to llay that game.