Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 03:31:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How Would You Fix This ?

Started by Mojo, October 30, 2012, 08:14:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I was contacted yesterday by an RV'er who just bought this new coach a year ago. It is a few months off warranty so he will be paying the entire bill himself.

I do more canvas work then anything and do not get into the interiors of RV's to often. Some of you will remember the dash recover I did on a motorcoach two years ago. That was one helluva HUGE job and very expensive. It took the dealer 2 days to get the dash out and once I was done with my work another day to re-install and connect everything back up.

Is there a way to repair this dash without removing it ? My idea was to apply glue, compress it and see if it sticks and holds. But I am concerned about the curve and the vinyl pulling away on that curved area.

Here are the pics:

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x200/throgmartin/Upholstery%20Projects/?action=view&current=MonacoDash2.jpg

Let me know what you guys and gals think.

Chris

SHHR

I did a similar repair on a Pontiac Grand Am dash where the vinyl peeled away from it around the windshield. This was a 10 minute repair while the lady waited and I made no gaurantees that it would work.

First I heated the vinyl with a heat gun so I could fold it back easily to access the back side, Then I shot a liberal amount of weldwood onto both surfaces and let it tack up only a couple of minutes. I quickly heated the outside of the vinyl again to make it very pliable and stuck it down. She had some large hard back books in the backseat so I took a couple and wedged between the windshield and dash to let the glue set good and told her to remove them the next day. So far it has worked.
Your pic looks like the bottom of the dash so I would first heat it and peel it back slightly farther than it is. If the vinylw is pliable simply spray some contact glue on both surfaces, let it tack up a few minutes, then stretch the vinyl down tight while using your other hand to work it in place. Whatever is hanging over, either wrap it under and glue it or trim it off with a razor blade. If its the stiff foam padded backed vinyl that was vacuumed form, I'd use plenty of heat to softem it up first then after gluing and sticking back down use some Gorilla tape to temporarily hold it to let the glue set good.
Kyle

Mike

I just had to say its hard to believe it was o ly 2 years ago.chris.
The older i get the more time flys. 

MinUph

SHHR's plan looks good. I would brush on the contact cement so there is no over spray. Also some vinyls are susceptible to normal weldwood contact cement. I've used it and never had a problem but the company does state that. I have a gallon on tonneau cover contact cement for viny. It is a weldwood product. You're more than welcome to a bottle of it. I will never use it all. It is costly and going to waste in my possession. Needed it for a repair on a Mustang seat cover.
  It looks like you can do the repair without a full recover. But if thats what he wants then removal of the dash would probably be required for a good job.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

What would you guys charge for the repair ?

Paul would you be interested in the job ? I am booked out till the middle of November and have more orders pending and coming in daily. I really do not want to screw with it. You can do the work at my house and use my tools and shop if you want as he is bringing the coach to me.

Chris

MinUph

Hi Chris,
  I too am busy on the weekends doing my own work. There just doesn't seem to be enough time lately. Although I'd love to build my business at home it has become a challenge finding the time to get things done in a reasonable amount of time. 40 hrs in Tarpon and I'm pretty beat at the end of the day.
  If you take the job and get stuck give me a call.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Rich

Chris, how was it held in place originally? Is there something to staple to? If not, can a tack strip of some sort be attached? I prefer staples over glue for longevity, but in either case, heat will be needed.
As for what to charge, did you say the dealer had to spend three days to R&I the dash last time? I'd say $500.00 would be bargain for them and give you some leeway on your time.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Mojo

I was thinking $ 100 - 150 if I can re-glue the vinyl with it remaining in place. I cannot see much more then an hours time and very little material cost ( a little glue ). Or am I being way to low on price ?

Paul, not a problem. I understand. I ran into a retired couple the other day who are doing bimini tops in Weekei Wachi. That is all they do, nothing else. Seems we are getting alot of part timers popping up in our area and they all seem to be specializing.

Chris

SHHR

I'd put about three hours on it. It looks simple enough, but suprises and challenges do arise. If you come in under,and most likely will, pass that on to your customer and they'll be thrilled with the savings.
Kyle

Rich

I look at it this way; Every job should be priced from the customer's point of view. If a new dashboard could be purchased cheaply at Walmart and installed in about 15 minutes, could you get $500.00 (or even $150.00) for your repair? Most probably not. But you said the dealer had spent three days doing the R&I the last time. So their point of view is far different. They would see your much smaller bill as a savings to them. And like Kyle said, what looks like an hour's worth of work could very easily become three or more hours and then you'd be faced with having to go back with a higher bill to cover it.
Go with your conscience, but I see no problem getting paid for the unknown factor and the fact that you're offering a way to save over the alternative.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Mojo

Thanks Ya'll for the help and input.

The guy will be coming in a week or so and I will take a look at it then. If it looks beyond my capabilities then I will refer him to someone else.

I am booked solid at the moment and more orders are coming in every day. I do not have time to screw with a project like this. If it looks like an easy fix I will do it. If not then I will let someone else do it.

Meanwhile my interior renovation for my own bus is on hold till I get the time. :) I sometimes feel like the plumber. I had torn slide toppers on my coach for almost a year because I didn't have the time to make myself new ones. Then when I did make them they sat in the basement of the coach for 6 months because I didn't have time to install them. This brings me to another topic but I will start a new thread on that one.

Thanks again for the help and input.

Chris